Divorcing my Jamaican husband

This is a discussion on Divorcing my Jamaican husband within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Hello, i have been married to a Jamaican for less than 2 years now. Things aren't working out. He hasn't ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Jane Doe

Confused Divorcing my Jamaican husband

Hello, i have been married to a Jamaican for less than 2 years now. Things aren't working out. He hasn't got a job. I earn all our money and pay all our bills. I want to divorce him because i have found out things about him which he didn't disclose to me before we married. He is still on a visa but soon in may he will be eligible for a permanent UK residency. I don't want to agree to this. I want him to go back home to Jamaica. He will only go back to Jamaica if i pay him lots of money. Is he entitle to half my assets. My husband does not contribute to anything as he has no income. Can anybody help?
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Unregistered

Thumbs Up re: Divorcing my Jamaican husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Doe View Post
Hello, i have been married to a Jamaican for less than 2 years now. Things aren't working out. He hasn't got a job. I earn all our money and pay all our bills. I want to divorce him because i have found out things about him which he didn't disclose to me before we married. He is still on a visa but soon in may he will be eligible for a permanent UK residency. I don't want to agree to this. I want him to go back home to Jamaica. He will only go back to Jamaica if i pay him lots of money. Is he entitle to half my assets. My husband does not contribute to anything as he has no income. Can anybody help?
The fact that he was not honest with you in the first instance, means you got married under grounds of which you knew nothing about. This is typical of the jamacan men, I married to one, who is still in Jamaica after five years, and want a divorce as all I ever here is me want, and me need, not once has he ever sent any money over here for me. They are scheming, beggy beggy, cheaters, and deceitful men, not all of them, but the majority who dont have any stay here, and cant get a job are no use to us women, who are independant, they will bleed us dry, but if its a jamaican women they are with in this country, they have no choice but to give them what they want. They think English women are foolish. Not this one though.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default re: Divorcing my Jamaican husband

As a Jamaican woman who married and divorced a Jamaican man, I have to object to what is being said here. Most men will cease any opportunity they can to advance themselves - that is human nature. I was married to a wonderful Jamaican man for 15 years, we simply grew apart. He was warm affectionate, considerate and loved his children. It was initially difficult for him when he first immigrated to Canada, and took him a few years to gain his bearings but in the end he was an excellent provider for his family.

I would not choose to marry anyone but my own Jamaican man. Rather than sterotyping perhaps you just need to do your homework, ask questions, take the time to get to know the person and in time you will determine the person's character and you will make the right life time decision - good luck

Old Jul 5th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #4

OMG!!!

Same situation here, except my husband is origionaly from Iraq. He was living in UK. Here is what I posted...

Hi,

I am a US citizen. I married a guy from Iraq, but was living in UK approx 5-6 years ago. We got married in Iraq, took me approx 5 years to get him here in America. He has been here for approx 6 mos, he has claiming that he doesn't have any money; therefore, I have paid for all expenses from the beggining. Now I even pay the rent. Now he states he doesn't want me anymore. He has applied to get his greencard. I don't want him anymore; therefore I wan't to file divorce. In addition, I want him to be deported and I want to make him pay for all the expenses I have paid for him because he just started working. Please help me, how do I go about filing the paperwork, do I need an attorney or can I just go to INS? I have an instinct that he came here not because of love but because of America. Thanks!
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Unregistered

Confused re: Divorcing my Jamaican husband

I recently married a jamaican man i have known for 10 years. a week after we got married, he left for his winter job in florida. his ex wife was with him, which i did not know till after the fact. She was staying with him while we were at our wedding. He claims they are best friends and not intimate. right!!! I want to divoce him and we have not filed any paperwork yet. Im scared that he will take revenge and say it was a marriage of convenience (which it was not) as he will have nothing to lose and be sent back to Jamaica. I feel like Im trapped.

Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Unregistered

I am in a similar situation. i married a Jamaican guy, unfortunately i should have done my research before marring him. I recently found out that he is still married to someone else, got her pregnant, and apparently was just using me to get his stay in Canada. Luckily God was on my side, and i found out about these things before the filing process got going. I found out that he is still married, but does anyone know how to go about getting a search to see if the person has been divorced or not? I may need this prove, then our marriage would not be valid, and i wouldnt need to go through the whole divorce process.

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Unregistered

Default Re: Divorcing my Jamaican husband

To the lady who's husband is already married..... Im due to marry a jamaican man myself and i will go into this with eyes and ears wide open, however to answer your question about documents i think that if you know when and where the marriage took place (parish, dates) then it will help you when you look for the records, ive been told that most official things like these usually lead to Kingston. I hope this helps you .....

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Unregistered

What do you think? I have been happily married to a jamician for 15 years , but dont misunderstand we do have our ups and downs too. My concern is his jamician mother who I helped over these years with open arms , holds grudges and very is disrespectful towards me. I feel she envy and is jealouse because she is not priority anyone. Note: my husband is close to his mother. She already bad mouth me with her family and if my husband don't put her priority, she tells him things like - you are not my son or the bond between a mother and son is stronger etc. What do think and anyone experience similar situation?

Old Aug 28th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Unregistered

Default Re: Divorcing my Jamaican husband

I agree they are scheming, begging, cheaters, liars and deceitful. They will do whatever it takes to get where they want to be no matter who head they have to step on to get there. They think American woman are easy targets for their games. Very selfish disrespectful men. I would not recommend anyone woman other than Jamaican women to marry a Jamaican man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The fact that he was not honest with you in the first instance, means you got married under grounds of which you knew nothing about. This is typical of the jamacan men, I married to one, who is still in Jamaica after five years, and want a divorce as all I ever here is me want, and me need, not once has he ever sent any money over here for me. They are scheming, beggy beggy, cheaters, and deceitful men, not all of them, but the majority who dont have any stay here, and cant get a job are no use to us women, who are independant, they will bleed us dry, but if its a jamaican women they are with in this country, they have no choice but to give them what they want. They think English women are foolish. Not this one though.

Old Sep 11th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Unregistered

Question Re: Divorcing my Jamaican husband

I have been dating a jamaican man for almost two and a half years. In the beginning he didnt tell me he was married, but i didnt hold that against him. According to him he has left the matrimonial house n been out since december 2011, and is talking about filing for divorce so he can marry n join me in the us. As needy as he may be, he has sent me money On two separate occassions when my finances were tight, and has sent me gifts in the past. Reading these horror stories make me cautious, and i've already brought up the possibility of signing a pre-nup before we do anything. Are there any other ways to ensure i keep whats mine in the event this doesnt work out between us?

Bookmark & Share

Tags
divorce, jamaica, residence

This thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 11255 times