divorce in US with a H4 visa

This is a discussion on divorce in US with a H4 visa within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; i am a Indian national with a H4 visa. my husband is on a H1. i came to know after ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #1

Angry divorce in US with a H4 visa

i am a Indian national with a H4 visa. my husband is on a H1. i came to know after we came to the US, that he has had a DUI (visa rejected and reconsidered on account of the same) many speeding tickets and has had a scandalous bachelor life life before i married him to come over to the US. i am shocked and would like to know how i can get Divorced from him. i would like to know if i can still stay in the US and try to convert my H4 to an H1.
or if i to go back to India, how long would the process take and what would be the procedure. will he have to appear in court in India? if he refuses to do so.....is he liable to the court of law if i want a divorce and if he doesn't care about the same? is there a law that binds him to come to court in India for the same even when he resides in the US? i would want him to be answerable for a year of emotional torture and financial cost my parents and i have had to contend with in this marriage.

please advice.
thanks.
Shivangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #2

Default Re: divorce in US with a H4 visa

Hmmm.
So, I'm confused.
Did you marry the man he is, or did you marry the man he USED to be? Because I can tell which one you want to divorce.
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: divorce in US with a H4 visa

You can stay and try to convert but it is not guaranteed. You need to have legal counsel assist at this point, given these details.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 4886 times