Syrians Seeking Asylum in Sweden

This is a discussion on Syrians Seeking Asylum in Sweden within the Deportation & Removal Issues forum, part of the Other Immigration Law & Visas category; Hi, I'm Syrian currently with my family in Lebanon, however our passports expire soon, and we cannot renew them from ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Shalashtein's Flag is: Syria

Confused Syrians Seeking Asylum in Sweden

Hi,

I'm Syrian currently with my family in Lebanon, however our passports expire soon, and we cannot renew them from Lebanon, and we entered Lebanon using our passports so if they expire we can't live here anymore. I emailed the Swedish Immigration Board and they said we can seek asylum there, however to get there we need to go to Italy by boat then from Italy to Sweden, my question is if this is possible can I move from Italy to Sweden with nothing more than Identification paper ? i read an article posted in 30/7/2013 that borders on Italy and Turkey are becoming very strict on who can go into Sweden.
Thanks in advanced.
Shalashtein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #2
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Syrians Seeking Asylum in Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalashtein View Post
Hi,

I'm Syrian currently with my family in Lebanon, however our passports expire soon, and we cannot renew them from Lebanon, and we entered Lebanon using our passports so if they expire we can't live here anymore. I emailed the Swedish Immigration Board and they said we can seek asylum there, however to get there we need to go to Italy by boat then from Italy to Sweden, my question is if this is possible can I move from Italy to Sweden with nothing more than Identification paper ? i read an article posted in 30/7/2013 that borders on Italy and Turkey are becoming very strict on who can go into Sweden.
Thanks in advanced.
The Swedish Immigration Board says you can seek asylum in Sweden. But upon what basis would you be doing that?

Asylum is for those who are seeking protection because they have suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution due to:
  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinion

If you entered Lebanon with your Syrian passports, that doesn't grant you permanent residency status in Lebanon.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyclaus View Post
The Swedish Immigration Board says you can seek asylum in Sweden. But upon what basis would you be doing that?

Asylum is for those who are seeking protection because they have suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution due to:
  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinion

If you entered Lebanon with your Syrian passports, that doesn't grant you permanent residency status in Lebanon.
Considering the fact that they already killed 4 of my relatives and bombed my uncles house I believe it's just as easy for us to suffer the same fate, so me and my family are exposed to potential persecution.

moreover, Lebanon is overrun by Hezbollah, If I had a valid passport I could stay in Lebanon if we pay 200$ per person every 6 months. Money isn't the main problem it's the fact that my temperate permit is on my passport that will expire before the end of august and I can't renew it using my ID unless I go to Syria then return to Lebanon, however I can't even cross the border to Syria.

Excuse my English.

Old Jul 30th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

MEA, KLM, Ansett Australia, Air France and Pegasus all fly to Switzerland from Beirut. Pegasus is cheapest at $609.

Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 31st, 2013, 07:59 PM   #5

But don't I need to declare a reason to go there , for example if I got a visiting or tourist visa ( I don't know the technical term in English ) I can't apply for asylum or at least that's whats written in their website

Old Jul 31st, 2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

I have a handle on this. Sweden and many other countries are accepting Syrian refugees for asylum as vetted by the UNHCR. The UNHCR has many refugee camps in the Middle East. You need to contact the UNHCR to obtain assistance. I am not sure how you can do that from Lebanon. It would be foolish and could be dangerous for you, to accept unacknowledged advise on making contact and obtaining shelter via UNHCR. I can only suggest you attempt to make contact. I'm sorry, I wish I could give you a more exact answer. Doing so would be reckless on my part as it might endanger you and your family.
UNHCR - Emergency Response
UNHCR and the Swedish Migration Board - Migrationsverket [NS4 version]

Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 1st, 2013, 07:49 PM   #7

Smile Re: Syrians Seeking Asylum in Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disagreeable View Post
I have a handle on this. Sweden and many other countries are accepting Syrian refugees for asylum as vetted by the UNHCR. The UNHCR has many refugee camps in the Middle East. You need to contact the UNHCR to obtain assistance. I am not sure how you can do that from Lebanon. It would be foolish and could be dangerous for you, to accept unacknowledged advise on making contact and obtaining shelter via UNHCR. I can only suggest you attempt to make contact. I'm sorry, I wish I could give you a more exact answer. Doing so would be reckless on my part as it might endanger you and your family.
UNHCR - Emergency Response
UNHCR and the Swedish Migration Board - Migrationsverket [NS4 version]
Thanks man, I'll try contacting them again via their website, I haven't had much luck with the last email I sent them, but fingers crossed

Bookmark & Share

Tags
asylum, italy, sweden, syria, urgent

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1338 times