Son denied passport with birth certificate because of home birth.

This is a discussion on Son denied passport with birth certificate because of home birth. within the Deportation & Removal Issues forum, part of the Other Immigration Law & Visas category; My 26 year old son was recently denied his US passport. He showed his birth certificate which says he was ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #1
weelizzy's Flag is: Canada

Default Son denied passport with birth certificate because of home birth.

My 26 year old son was recently denied his US passport. He showed his birth certificate which says he was born in Berkeley CA. USA. But because it is a home birth they want more information. I am Canadian with a permanent resident visa. At the time of his birth my sons father and I were not married. His father is American. I am working on getting his post natal records but this is ridiculous! Any feedback is appreciated. Also , his sister got her's with no problems and she was born at home also. She was only 15 at the time so that might have made a difference.
weelizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #2
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Son denied passport with birth certificate because of home birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weelizzy View Post
My 26 year old son was recently denied his US passport. He showed his birth certificate which says he was born in Berkeley CA. USA. But because it is a home birth they want more information. I am Canadian with a permanent resident visa. At the time of his birth my sons father and I were not married. His father is American. I am working on getting his post natal records but this is ridiculous! Any feedback is appreciated. Also , his sister got her's with no problems and she was born at home also. She was only 15 at the time so that might have made a difference.
Unfortunately, with the increase in security measures due to terrorism and fraudulent documentation, when a child is born at home with no official record of their birth, the US government more closely scrutinizes those requesting passports or other official documentation of citizenship. All too often, people will falsify records simply to gain citizenship, and depending on the circumstances, additional documentation or records are needed to confirm that a person is actually a US citizen, born in the US - especially with foreign-born parents.

You may also wish to have persons who have knowledge of his home birth (such as the doctor, midwife, or other attendants that assisted in his delivery) complete this form: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79954.pdf
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 1342 times