Visa overstay in Australia -- Would it be possible to apply for sponsorship?

This is a discussion on Visa overstay in Australia -- Would it be possible to apply for sponsorship? within the Deportation & Removal Issues forum, part of the Other Immigration Law & Visas category; Hi, a friend of mine has been living in Australia for around 15months after his visa expired. He originally overstayed ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1
IrnGiraffe's Flag is: Scotland

Default Visa overstay in Australia -- Would it be possible to apply for sponsorship?

Hi, a friend of mine has been living in Australia for around 15months after his visa expired. He originally overstayed due to being in a relationship, then couldn't afford to go. He has recently decided to try and rectify this and is wondering what his options are.

He would love to stay in Australia, and his old boss has offered to sponsor him to do so. If he was able to go on bridging visa e, would it then be possible to apply for sponsorship, or is leaving the country and a mandatory 3 year exclusion the only realistic outcome?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
IrnGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Visa overstay in Australia -- Would it be possible to apply for sponsorship?

I wish to inform you that as the period overstayed is for more then 28 days therefore three year ban on re-entry may be imposed. Further while arrangement are being made to leave Australia at that time you may apply for bridging visa. After 3 years have passed at that time person may come back to Australia. If your friend intends to come before 3 year then he may appeal to Immigration Minister and can present his valid basis as to overstay and why 3 year ban should not be imposed.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Top Level Member

Default Re: Visa overstay in Australia -- Would it be possible to apply for sponsorship?

Your friend is supposed to get a 3 year ban on reentry to Australia. This ban is applied to any person who undergoes overstay in Australia. He can apply for a bridging visa, but he have to take the risk of deportation.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 30th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #4
edna deleon's Flag is: Philippines

Default Re: Visa overstay in Australia -- Would it be possible to apply for sponsorship?

i overstayed my visa in australia for 5 months and i apply again for another visit visa here in philippines but denied. can i ask favor from australian immigration to grant me ?my fiancee michael bell sent a letter to the minister of immi and no reply yet it is 1 month now..what will we do??
edna deleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 30th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #5
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

A re-entry ban cannot be removed. If you apply for a temporary visa and you have a re-entry ban, you may request to have the re-entry ban put aside for that application only. You must write to the department and explain why you think it should be put aside.

Requests will only be considered if you can prove there are compassionate or compelling circumstances that affect the interests of an Australian citizen or permanent resident. The department must be satisfied there is a strong reason to justify granting a visa before the end of the re-entry ban. If not, your visa application will be refused.

If the re-entry ban is put aside, you will still need to meet all the other criteria for the visa, including health and character requirements, for it to be granted.

Last edited by sandyclaus; Aug 30th, 2012 at 06:48 AM.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Unregistered

Hi there,

I've read though this thread and I hope you can offer me some advise too.

I overstayed for around two month and won't be trying to re-enter during the 3 year ban but would like to after this date.

Do any of you know if, after the ban I will still have to justify my prevoius overstay or would it be a matter of simply meeting the visa criteria?

Will I still have difficulties reentering after my 3 year ban has expired?

Thanks,

Sandy

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 5645 times