freezing someone's checking account

This is a discussion on freezing someone's checking account within the Debt Collection forum, part of the BANKRUPTCY & DEBT COLLECTIONS category; a friend of mine just recently had her checking account frozen by a credit card company. there was no warning ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default freezing someone's checking account

a friend of mine just recently had her checking account frozen by a credit card company. there was no warning of them doing this etc. They called to try to work out arrangements and ask that they unfreeze the account but they refuse till they get what is owed in full. Their problem is they need to be able to pay their mortgage as well. Freezing their account will prevent that.
Does the credit card company have a right to freeze someone's account?
What actions do you recommend they take to be able to regain access to their bank account ?
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Top Level Member
annjd's Flag is: United States

Default Re: freezing someone's checking account

They had to sue her first and serve notice,

if they did not she could have the account freeze rescinded

See also http://www.worldlawdirect.com/article/935 -- Collecting on a court judgment.
annjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Unregistered

EEK! Re: freezing someone's checking account

I own a retail studio where I am required to pay sales tax. I pay monthly sales tax. Unfortunately my sales tax check made in August was returned insufficient. I spoke to a State Comptroller officer and made arrangements to pay. However, as I was proceeding with clearing this amount, my September was returned unpaid by my bank. So now I am aware that I have to clear that one too. Well today, I checked my checking account on the internet and I was alarmed by all the NSF Fees I had incured yet I had enough funds to cover the all transactions posted to my account. It turns out that a freeze on all of my accounts at my bank including my savings was placed. I was in a similar situation when I first opened my business 5 years ago, so I am well aware of how this works. However, I was able to omit the freeze because I received a notice in the mail that if this amount was not cleared by a certain date then a hold would be placed. My question is can the state still place a freeze on your accounts without notifying me? And I recently just received a statement that the 2nd check returned was now pending, but never received a letter notifying me about the freeze that was going to incure. To make matters worse, the sales tax check I just sent to cover this month. which will be 3 checks now, will now be returned due to the freeze placed on the account. All of my money went to paying over $800.00 of NSF Fees when $300.00 more would have cleared any pending balance with them. Do I have any rights or at lease a right to get a letter in the mail notifying me about the freeze prior to its occassion?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 7385 times