Unpaid loans and credit card (in SCB Bahrain)

This is a discussion on Unpaid loans and credit card (in SCB Bahrain) within the Debt Collection forum, part of the BANKRUPTCY & DEBT COLLECTIONS category; I Made a loan and had a credit card in SCB Bahrain last 2008. then I was terminated from my ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #1
agallardo's Flag is: Philippines

Default Unpaid loans and credit card (in SCB Bahrain)

I Made a loan and had a credit card in SCB Bahrain last 2008. then I was terminated from my job last 2009 and went back home in manila. and only this month after 3 years Bilkish is giving me a frequent call that I need to settle my unpaid loans and bills. they also sending mail that if i will not settle and pay the pending loans within 3 days they will sue and file a criminal case against me. my question is do they have the authority to file a case and send me to jail due to my unpaid loans?
agallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Unpaid loans and credit card (in SCB Bahrain)

I wish to inform you that in Bahrain criminal proceedings can be started against you for failing to pay credit card default. In Bahrain credit card default can be punished criminally. Further generally the credit card company have checks from customers which they take when credit card is provided and on default they present check in bank and gets dishonored so that additional charges for check dishonor can also be filed.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #3

In regards to the credit card I'm not using it anymore since I left Bahrain from 2009 I'm paying the bill on monthly basis when I was there. suddenly I wasn't able to pay when I was terminated and send home here in Manila. they can file a case against me because of not paying the Credit card?

Old Aug 9th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #4
Top Level Member

The law does not allow someone to go to jail for unpaid debt with the exception of unpaid child support. It is against the law for debt collectors to threaten to put someone in jail for unpaid debt. Collectors can threaten to repossess property that is held as collateral for the unpaid debt, but they cannot take any other property. However, laws to protect consumers with unpaid debt state that they must first win a lawsuit against the consumer before they can take money out of someone’s bank account or garnish their paycheck.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 10th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #5

Default Re: Unpaid loans and credit card (in SCB Bahrain)

Thanks for the advice sir.

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #6

Dear Sir,,

I want to seek an advice because until now Bilkish group is always calling me even on our office number regarding on my unpaid laons and credit card.. i told them that i'm coordinating in SCB Bahrain thru my relatives.. but still they keep on bothering me please advice me what should i tell to Bilkish..

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #7
Top Level Member

Creditors and collection agencies are required to stop calling you if you send them a letter demanding that they stop.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 15th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Mr OFW's Flag is: Philippines

For what i know, there is no doubt that you will be charged criminally in Bahrain through your checks you just gave and in Bahrain you will be treat as criminal BUT the question is CAN BAHRAIN GET YOU FROM THE PHILIPPINES TO SERVE YOUR SENTENCE?

i think no because first and foremost there was no extradition pact between Bahrain and Philippines, second debt is NOT punishable by laws in the Philippines, third i never heard ANYONE in the Philippines was put to jail because of unpaid debt from different countries (Bahrain), fourth your case has been already transferred to third party who will do nothing but to force you to pay your debts and also pay the additional charges they will going to impose against you, fifth its very costly for the bank from Bahrain to pursue a case against you in the Philippines, just imagine they will need to send people everytime there is a hearing but in the end Philippine Justice System will question the charges through bouncing checks and in the end everything will boil down to debt which according to Philippine Law is NOT criminal offense nor force you to pay the loan if your not able to pay it

The Only danger of arrest and jail IF your in GCC or in Bahrain but since your laready in the Philippines i think you don't need to worry anymore. for what i heard BILKISH meat and honey are harassment which very effective for those who thought they will be still arrested in the Philippines

If i were you i will just ignore their threats and letters, they are all hollow threats, your already in the Philippines so why afraid?

This is what you need to ask yourself and sincerely answer it
1. Do you want to pay your credit card debt? YES or NO
2. If Yes then are you financially capable for paying it? YES or NO
3. If Yes then its advisable to pay that to the Bank NOT in Bilkish, after all they are harassing you yet do you want to pay their commission for giving you headache?!

That is the only question you need to ask yourself, forget about the threat of criminal charges or property snatching because they are long way to go before they are able to pick even a single chair from your home, remember unpaid debt is NOT criminal offense in the Philippine Law, even a first year law student knows that
Mr OFW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 15th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #9
Mr OFW's Flag is: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by agallardo View Post
Dear Sir,,

I want to seek an advice because until now Bilkish group is always calling me even on our office number regarding on my unpaid laons and credit card.. i told them that i'm coordinating in SCB Bahrain thru my relatives.. but still they keep on bothering me please advice me what should i tell to Bilkish..
That is a clear harassment and that is NOT allowable according to Philippine Law.

First of all we have this section of Bill of Rights called ARTICLE 3 which states;

===========================
The prohibition against imprisonment for a debt is a basic right enshrined in no less than the Constitution (Article III):

"No person shall be imprisoned for debt or non-payment of a poll tax."

The rationale for this prohibition is explained in the case of Lozano vs. Martinez, thus:
. . . Viewed in its historical context, the constitutional prohibition against imprisonment for debt is a safeguard that evolved gradually during the early part of the nineteenth century in the various states of the American Union as a result of the people’s revulsion at the cruel and inhumane practice, sanctioned by common law, which permitted creditors to cause the incarceration of debtors who could not pay their debts. At common law, money judgments arising from actions for the recovery of a debt or for damages from breach of a contract could be enforced against the person or body of the debtor by writ of capias ad satisfaciendum. By means of this writ, a debtor could be seized and imprisoned at the instance of the creditor until he makes the satisfaction awarded. As a consequence of the popular ground swell against such a barbarous practice, provisions forbidding imprisonment for debt came to be generally enshrined in the constitutions of various states of the Union.
This humanitarian provision was transported to our shores by the Americans at the turn of the century and embodied in our organic laws. Later, our fundamental law outlawed not only imprisonment for debt, but also the infamous practice, native to our shore, of throwing people in jail for non-payment of the cedula or poll tax.
In other words, no one could be compelled to pay a debt under pain of criminal sanctions (estafa is a different matter). No one could also substitute the payment of debt through imprisonment or other criminal penalties (subsidiary imprisonment is also another matter).

===========================

The harassment they are doing even to your office is definitely NOT allowed by Philippine Law, you can actually file a charge against them by doing this to you

Again BILKISH threat are hollow, their threat will only be effective depending on your reaction, if you will show your threatened from their threats then they will do more of that, show them you know where your standing in the Law and their limitations, they actually stepping the line, beyond their limitation, tell them "This is Philippines, NOT Bahrain, the things you can do to Bahrain is NOT allowed in Philippines"
Mr OFW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Unregistered

Dear all,

I have almost the same problem as stated above and i would like to request for a information for i dont know what to do.. i have a credit also in SCB UAE 2 years ago, but i was terminated and i know that it will be waived if i am terminated in my job, i applied, work now in qatar but due breach of contract of my company not paying OT, i resigned and now going back to the philippines but recently my relatives called me because of this Bilkish Guy who are threatening me to pay my credit in SCB uae(after 2 years?)..and is telling i will have problems in immigration in doha airport and also problems in philippines..and now im having too much problems..please advise.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 5360 times