Will husband's medical bills affect wife's credit?

This is a discussion on Will husband's medical bills affect wife's credit? within the Debt Collection forum, part of the BANKRUPTCY & DEBT COLLECTIONS category; Florida...I have medical bills from an injury. I have excellent credit and so does my wife. We cannot pay the ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #1
notsmilingsam's Flag is: United States

Confused Will husband's medical bills affect wife's credit?

Florida...I have medical bills from an injury. I have excellent credit and so does my wife. We cannot pay the full amount of the medical bills so we are making monthly payments. I know by doing that it will bring my credit score down but I have no choice. I have only been sent to collections by 2 of the bills so far ( got them in the mail today )and I am trying to make arrangements with the other ones.
We want to apply for a loan and pay off all these bills. The medical bills are in my name. ( husband ).I dont want the bank to check my credit since it is probably getting bad as the months pass. I was thinking about putting the loan in her name only. Will the bank still check MY credit? Will the late medical bills affect HER credit too?
I must add that I am still unemployed at the time. But hope to be back to work as soon as possible.( I don't like my wife having to bear the whole financial burden.)
PLUS,, If these bills will affect our credit..How bad will it affect it by paying these bills a little at a time? Will our credit score drop drastically?
Sorry for so many questions.. I just want to know where I stand before going to the bank on Monday. Thanks
notsmilingsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Will husband's medical bills affect wife's credit?

I wish to inform you that your spouse credit rating will not affect your wifes credit score. In this regard the debt is your personal debt and not a joint debt. Your credit score will only be affected. Your wife score will be affected if there is some joint debt which has not been paid.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Will husband's medical bills affect wife's credit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsmilingsam View Post
Florida...I have medical bills from an injury. I have excellent credit and so does my wife. We cannot pay the full amount of the medical bills so we are making monthly payments. I know by doing that it will bring my credit score down but I have no choice. I have only been sent to collections by 2 of the bills so far ( got them in the mail today )and I am trying to make arrangements with the other ones.
We want to apply for a loan and pay off all these bills. The medical bills are in my name. ( husband ).I dont want the bank to check my credit since it is probably getting bad as the months pass. I was thinking about putting the loan in her name only. Will the bank still check MY credit? Will the late medical bills affect HER credit too?
I must add that I am still unemployed at the time. But hope to be back to work as soon as possible.( I don't like my wife having to bear the whole financial burden.)
PLUS,, If these bills will affect our credit..How bad will it affect it by paying these bills a little at a time? Will our credit score drop drastically?
Sorry for so many questions.. I just want to know where I stand before going to the bank on Monday. Thanks
Florida is not a community property state and it won't affect your wife's credit.

If you've been making monthly payments that have been negotiated and agreed to with the medical facility, there should be no reason it's ending up on your credit reports(s). If 2 have gone to collections, that means your credit is already in trouble.

The bank won't check your credit if the application is in your wife's name only.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2897 times