United Arab Emirates (UAE) credit card debt problem

This is a discussion on United Arab Emirates (UAE) credit card debt problem within the Debt Collection forum, part of the BANKRUPTCY & DEBT COLLECTIONS category; Hi I had an account opened in NBD by my ex employer with a salary of 2,100 AED and was ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #21
Unregistered

Default : United Arab Emirates (UAE) credit card debt problem

Hi

I had an account opened in NBD by my ex employer with a salary of 2,100 AED and was given a credit card as well with a limit of 2500- 2700max ( I do not recall this as this in 2006) I was paying the minimum due amount of 100 AED , but soon my situation improved and I stared paying the card and not using it anymore. In 2009 I got a call from the bank collection dept asking me to pay 120 AED as the last payment and I will not be called. I made the payment and received no call since then.

Now in 2012 I receive a call from INTRA debt collection agency saying that I owe the bank 11,000 AED . After asking them for statements and why , they gave me the reasons of Auto Interest etc and that they have no statements to provide as to why I was charged. After demanding I speak to the manager a lady , she said I can give you a discount after speaking to the bank and called me back saying that they have negotiated a good deal and that I need to pay only 3000 AED and if I donít , the bank is powerful and they will bounce my cheque and file a case against me etc. They are also saying that the bank can manipulate the statements etc

I had the same contact details for almost 1.5 years later and never received a single call from them

Can They do this to me after 5 years ? I do not have any proof except an email from NBD asking me to pay 120 AED , minimum settlement, They guy on the phone told me I have been a good customer although defaulted once or twice as I was not in the country other than that I have paid on time sono one will call me after this payment .

Now this agent is from Pakistan and is rude and calls me 10 times in a day , if I donít answer.

Any advice will help

Please

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #22
a141157's Flag is: United Arab Emirates

Default Re: United Arab Emirates (UAE) credit card debt problem

I traveled to UAE for investment and I got a credit card and home loan with NBD on 2008 I noticed misused of my credit card I personally notified the bank and I request to cancel my Credit Card I left Dubai and return to US on 2008 due to my wife's cancer I did not travel to UAE, I find a buyer from my apartment in Dubai I request the Liability letter from the bank I noticed AED90,000 Credit card debt which I never used my Credit card I asked for statements They sent me just for the past 2 years just shows over limit charges and interest nothing else,

Now I want to sale my apartment I need money for my wife medical bills, I do not want to pay these unjustice charges on my credit card what should I do?

Last edited by a141157; Apr 20th, 2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
a141157 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #23
DeepakKumar's Flag is: India

Hi All,

Like all of you, my story is not different. Rather than posting my issues, I would prefer to give you a solution.

1. These agents are harassing us because we are alone.
2. As the credit card debts and personal loans are unsecured (in most of the cases), it is sure that the banks cannot do anything. Have you heard anyone having trouble other than the threats?
3. Make a note - by law, recovery agents cannot make more than two calls a day. You can file a lawsuit against them. Also, they are not allowed to come to your house. If anyone comes to your house, don't leave him on 2 feets. Let him go by Ambulance. Yes, you can do as they come to threaten you. If they have any issues with you, let them go court file a case against you, which they canít.
4. You should know that they cannot file a case against us. If they can, they would have done to you or many other by now. Has anyone going through a court case? Please let me know.
5. One thing, has anyone heard that bank jailed anyone in India or have they taken back to UAE?
6. If the agents realizes that you are unable to pay, they will stop calling you as they don't want to waste their time on you.
7. Now, how we can stop abuse from the agents. (None of the agent shows their real identity - Cowards..... )
8. Do you know who those agents are? - Nominal salary paid employees from call centers. Their target is to get 40% commission from bank on recovery amounts.
9. What we need to do is to fight and stop getting the calls from these agents. (And trust me, by law they cannot. They will go into deep trouble if anyone of us takes an action against them.)
10. Taking action is little difficult for any individual as we are financially and morally down. But if we come together we can fight with them.

Come together and let us show what is the Law in India says......

You have had enough trouble in UAE and now you are in safe hands of your Mother - IndiaÖÖ

We are in Democratic Country and India is the biggest example to the world.....

Letís make a panel of Lawyers and sue these agents first.......

Jai Hind..................
DeepakKumar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 20th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #24
Amin Naushad

@Deepak,
You are partially right, the UAE banks cannot do anything nor the recovery agents in India for default on loan repayment or credit card payments. But what about the CHEQUE BOUNCE CASE IN UAE.
Cheque bounce in UAE is a criminal offence.
Since the same is declared as criminal offence, the fugitive qualifies for extradition from india to UAE through Interpol red corner notice (just in case if u are caught in any of the international airports) or through a court order obtained with the permission of Indian Government. In such case, you have no alternative but to go for a trial in UAE and most likely be jailed!!!
i am pretty sure that you dont have any money to settle (even if the banks agree for a very flexible instalment rates), and so, the only alternate left for you is to change your living location in India and live in constant fear of being caught and extradited to India.

Old Jul 30th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #25
Unregistered

Deepak - pls initiate an organisation which will help all those who are in india misguided - any help or support will be there from my end - so will many am sure

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #26
Unregistered

Dear all,

I have almost the same problem as stated above and i would like to request for a information for i dont know what to do.. i have a credit also in SCB UAE 2 years ago,but i was terminated and i know that it will be waived if i am terminated in my job, i applied , work now in qatar but due breach of contract of my company not paying OT, i resigned and now going back to the philippines but recently my relatives called me because of this Bilkish Guy who are treathening me to pay my credit in SCB uae(after 2 years?)..and is telling i will have problems in immigration in doha airport and also problems in philippines..and now im having too much problems..please advise.

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #27
rgaine's Flag is: UK

I get Harrassed everyday
rgaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 28th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #28
arablaws's Flag is: United Arab Emirates

View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi, As per our understanding:

Clients who find repeated phone calls hampering their work, for instance, have the right to privacy and demand that collectors stop calling them. "Most of the time, people stop answering the calls. Our advice is to complain to the police against any debt collector under Article 250 of the UAE Penal Code".

Use of threats to extract payments should not be tolerated either. "The bank that is instructing his employee [debt collector] to call the debtor and to threaten him in order to collect the unpaid money should be blamed for breaching the ethics of the banking profession, as well as the circulars of the Central Bank and the stipulations of UAE Federal Law No. 10 of 1980 regulating the said profession. It goes without saying that the bank will be liable for the acts of its employees,".

"If the consumer feels harassed or offended, he has the full right to file a complaint before the police or the public prosecution. However, such harassment shall entail the acts mentioned [in the UAE Penal Code] which basically punishes any person who curses, slanders, insults, or publicly ruins someone's reputation or honour,"
arablaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 29th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #29
DHRJ's Flag is: United Arab Emirates

Wink Re: United Arab Emirates (UAE) credit card debt problem

Hi,

I was employed in UAE for 3 Months, now they have handed over me a termination letter, I am having a personal loan taken against 2 Credit Card unpaid,

Can they stop me at the airport while leaving the country ??
What about the Credit Shield & all those stuff, will it be applicable in my case ??
Will they settle my amount with insurance ??

please guide somebody
DHRJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #30
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: United Arab Emirates (UAE) credit card debt problem

After being away form dubai for 8+ years, I got a call from Debt Collection from Dubai through an agency
of course, they say, they'll put me into interpol list, can their associate agency in my country to follow up file a police report etc

Bookmark & Share

Tags
uae credit card debt

This thread has 115 replies and has been viewed 105148 times