WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > BANKRUPTCY & DEBT COLLECTIONS > Debt Collection > Can the doctor charge whatever he wants even if I didn't agree to any amount?

Can the doctor charge whatever he wants even if I didn't agree to any amount?

This is a discussion on Can the doctor charge whatever he wants even if I didn't agree to any amount? within the Debt Collection forum, part of the BANKRUPTCY & DEBT COLLECTIONS category; I went to a doctor to look at a hemorrhoid and tell me how much it would cost to have ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #1
zinsco

Default Can the doctor charge whatever he wants even if I didn't agree to any amount?

I went to a doctor to look at a hemorrhoid and tell me how much it would cost to have it removed. After I saw the doctor I left. He did not remove the hemorrhoid, really just a consultation. A week later, I got a letter telling me to pay them $225. I was never told of this charge before I saw the doctor and I never signed anything agreeing to any price. I did sign something saying that I am responsible for payment, but not to how much. Do I have to pay the $225 even though I never agreed to such a payment?

If I do have to pay, can I pay $1 a month to stop the doctor from being able to sue or send it to a collection agency, since there is nothing I signed indicating an amount or when payment was to be payed in full?
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Can the doctor charge whatever he wants even if I didn't agree to any amount?

I wish to inform you that if compensation of doctor was not informed then you may be liable to pay a reasonable fees. Reasonable fees is the fees which the doctor with similar experience and skill would have charged. As fees amount was not decided therefore now reasonable fees may be the basis and not excessive fees. You may write a letter to the doctor that he may agree that you pay a reasonable fees for his services as there was no agreement on fees.

AFF

Last edited by AFFA; Sep 25th, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Nana2's Flag is: United States

Default re: Can the doctor charge whatever he wants even if I didn't agree to any amount?

Also, if you think paying $1.00 a month will prevent it from going into collections or on your credit report, think again. I am in that situation where I owe over $6K in medical bills, am unemployed and have told all the doc offices where I had surgery just before being unemployed and they won't work with me. I send them $5.00 each month but 3 have sent me to collections and have ruined a great credit that was in the 800's. Don't ask me how they can do this but they do. It's disheartening when I want to pay but I can't right now. Wishing you the best.
Nana2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinsco View Post
I went to a doctor to look at a hemorrhoid and tell me how much it would cost to have it removed. After I saw the doctor I left. He did not remove the hemorrhoid, really just a consultation. A week later, I got a letter telling me to pay them $225. I was never told of this charge before I saw the doctor and I never signed anything agreeing to any price. I did sign something saying that I am responsible for payment, but not to how much. Do I have to pay the $225 even though I never agreed to such a payment?

If I do have to pay, can I pay $1 a month to stop the doctor from being able to sue or send it to a collection agency, since there is nothing I signed indicating an amount or when payment was to be payed in full?
$225 for any medical service whatsoever? Consider yourself lucky it was $2250.00. Medical service is outrageously priced. I'd even go so far as to say it's criminally priced.

That small amount of money is not worth your splitting hairs over. It's not worth risking credit damage. The medical profession is THE most notorious for selling their unpaid debt to collections and suing for the money they want. You are better off paying it off.

$1.00 a month is not going to keep these scoundrels from sending the debt to collection.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who will tell you the exact dollar amount you will wind up paying after ANY medical service. They did not have to inform you of the exact amount. Your logic there is fuzzy.

Pick your battles. This isn't one you should be picking to make a stand on principle for. Pay the bill and move on with your life. It's not worth ruining your credit over $225 measly dollars.

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Unregistered

I hear what you all are saying, and because of the lack of oversight in the health care field I'm stuck with paying the money.

I have to say that this is totally wrong, though. I am a service electrician and when I go to someone's house I have give them a price for the work or repairs that need to be done and have them sign a contract agreeing to that price before I can get started. When you go to a lawyer, you have to agree on a retainer and an hourly rate there after to hire the lawyer to work for you. When you go to a mechanic you have to agree on a diagnostic fee before they look at what is wrong with your car and then when they find out what needs to be done they give you a price and you have to decide if you want the repairs done and agree to have the repairs done by signing a contract with the price.

As a service electrician, I have a price book. People sometimes think that each job is so different that you can't have set prices for construction services. That is so wrong. Everything can be put into a price book it is not that hard to do. We call it flat rate pricing. Doctors could do the same thing. I should have been able to ask how much it would cost to have one hemorrhoid removed. I can not and will not believe that the doctor could not have at least given me a price for that. Now, of coarse, after seeing me he might find more that needs to be done but at least I could have decided if the price for one hemorrhoid was something I could afford. Instead, they force me to pay $225 to tell me I have a hemorrhoid, (come on, tell me something I don't already know) and then give me the $3000 dollar price to remove it. Now when I say no because I don't have that kind of money at least they get $225 out of me. That's a scam.

Old Sep 26th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Unregistered

Default Re: Can the doctor charge whatever he wants even if I didn't agree to any amount?

The medical profession is not like the electrical profession. Even walking through the doors of any medical facility will cost you money, without anyone even seeing you.

In the electrical profession, an estimate is given, or a bid. In an attorney's office, a general hourly charge will be quoted, but not without little side charges that are inevitable. Mechanics give estimates too. None of the professions you name give exact figure quotes.

You must accept that this is how the medical profession works and choose whether this is a battle you'll be able to win. As large a conglomerate the medical profession is, good luck winning your battle.

Again, it's not worth risking your credit for a mere $225.00. Just pay it, stop lamenting about it and get on with your life.

Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Unregistered

Default Re: Can the doctor charge whatever he wants even if I didn't agree to any amount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The medical profession is not like the electrical profession............ None of the professions you name give exact figure quotes.
Like I said, I understand the position I am in and the risk I take to fight it and therefore I will pay it.

As far as the way the medical profession operates, it is a scam. You are so wrong to say that the professions I named do not give exact figures. They can, it's easy to do, and they do. Of course there are additional needs that often come up and require more money, but for a specific request a specific amount can easily be given.

Also, I understand the medical profession is not like the electrical profession, but it should be, at least in regards to giving a price that has to be agreed upon in writing before work is started. They are given the freedom to charge whatever they want, or at least what is considered to be reasonable by other doctors. That internal oversight is called a monopoly and should not be allowed.

This is why I have sent letters to my congressmen on this issue, and I think with the health care debate raging in the States right now, it is very relevant. Everyone agrees that there needs to be some sort of reform in the health care profession.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Unregistered

You question has been asked and answered. It appears you really did not want a reply, you are just wanting to vent.

Counselors make good listeners. They also give you a price on how much the hour is going to cost up front.

At this point, you are just rambling and nobody really cares about the way you think things "should" be.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You question has been asked and answered. It appears you really did not want a reply, you are just wanting to vent.

Counselors make good listeners. They also give you a price on how much the hour is going to cost up front.

At this point, you are just rambling and nobody really cares about the way you think things "should" be.
Yes, my question has been answered and with valuable information. I now know that this is a battle I can't when so I will pay it. So you are very wrong stating that I did not want a reply. Also, I am not just venting, I want support because I think this way of doing business needs to change. That is why I also, sent letters to my congress men, the local news station, and the news paper.

Old Sep 27th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Unregistered

This isn't a "support" board. It's a legal advice board. You got the legal advice you sought. Now it's time to move on.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 3518 times