Can repo man crawl around my property at night

This is a discussion on Can repo man crawl around my property at night within the Debt Collection forum, part of the BANKRUPTCY & DEBT COLLECTIONS category; I know my van is going to be repoed and tonight I was sitting in my living room watching tv ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Can repo man crawl around my property at night

I know my van is going to be repoed and tonight I was sitting in my living room watching tv and I saw a light shinning in the window. I looked out and there was a tow truck driving down the road shinning a light at everybodies house, I figured he was looking for my van so I got my husband out of bed. The tow truck then turned around in the next drive way and parked in the street by my house. A man got out and walked up the drive way. He was snooping around the garage and went to the side of the garage and tried to shine a light into the garage window. I guess he was looking for the van. He then went and got back in his truck and after about 5 minutes he pulled away. He never came to the door. In my opinion he was trustpassing. All he has to do was come to the door and he could have had the van. Was he with in his legal rights to e snooping around my property at midnight?
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Can repo man crawl around my property at night

There may be a small grace period in your state but if not, generally, your creditor has legal authority to seize your car as soon as you default on your loan. Once you are in default, your creditor may repossess your car at any time without prior notice and may come onto your property to do so.

However, the creditor may not commit a "breach of the peace" by using physical force or threats of force. If this occurs, your creditor may be required to pay a penalty or compensate you for any harm done to you or your property.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Unregistered

The funny thing about owning property is, people can trespass legally in certain instances. Unfortunately, this is one of those instances.

What a repossessor cannot do is jump over a gate to achieve entry onto a property, cut locks on gates, and if there is a lock on your garage door (I suggest buying one and installing it), they cannot cut or otherwise tamper with the lock in order to access your garage or any of its contents (including your vehicle). Once inside any dwelling, a person is guilty of trespassing, no matter who they are or what they are there for.

Homeowners are still within their legal rights to protect themselves from danger, perceived or real. Invest in a can of mace.

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

Yep, OP can buy locks and mace and sit up all night watching for the repo man...OR...just a funny thought here... OP could PAY for her van (or get insurance - a vehicle with a loan is repo'd if the owner fails to keep it insured even if the loan is current).

All the time, energy, and money spent avoiding a repo, what a waste - just pay.

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM   #5
Unregistered

Of course that would be the ideal solution. However, the OP wasn't asking for moral advice. She was asking for legal advice.

Further, nobody suggested that the OP sit up all night with a can of mace in hand. But if people are sneaking around on her property, she has the legal right to protect herself.

Just because a person is on a property for purportedly employment related purposes doesn't mean they aren't capable of criminal action. I wouldn't trust any person who resorts to working as a repossessor. That is pretty much bottom of the barrel employment that requires a person to have questionable moral character.

Old Mar 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #6
msg
Top Level Member
msg's Flag is: United States

I agree with the above.

Either pay or let them take it. It is not worth the energy trying to keep them at bay. They will get it at some point and your damages owing will only be greater.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Unregistered

The point of the OP's question wasn't to get moral advice on whether or not she should pay. She was not asking whether she should pay or risk repossession. She asked if it was legal for the repo guy to come sneaking onto her property late at night and what can and can't a repo person do on a person's property. I.E. what are her LEGAL rights.

Please, let's stick to giving legal advice and give this OP enough credit that she's well aware of her financial obligations.

Old Mar 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

Sorry, I was unaware that stealing wasn't a legal issue.

I have a locking garage. Maybe I should go buy a new car. Because when things get tough and I can't make the payments I can just keep it hidden.

Repo men have to be that much sneakier than the vehicle holder. If people were honest, repo men wouldn't HAVE to go lurking around in the dark of night.

And no, I don't know, am not related to, and have never worked for a repo company.

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Unregistered

Apparently it's impossible for some of your posters to keep your own emotions out of the equation when answering people's questions. Sarcasm is emotional. Keep it to yourself.

The issue of "stealing being a legal issue" was NOT what the OP asked. How many times and how many ways can that point be driven home before some of you get it? The OP is fully aware of why a repo person is on her property. That said, she simply asked what is legal for the repo person to do and what's not. ALL OTHER ISSUES ARE IRRELEVANT.

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #10

Couldn't the complainant be charged with Grand Theft Auto for keeping the vehicle?
rubberant006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 9719 times