Can repo man crawl around my property at night

This is a discussion on Can repo man crawl around my property at night within the Debt Collection forum, part of the BANKRUPTCY & DEBT COLLECTIONS category; No. The car was not stolen. The owner has fallen behind on payments. It's not the same thing as outright ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Unregistered

Default Re: Can repo man crawl around my property at night

No. The car was not stolen. The owner has fallen behind on payments. It's not the same thing as outright stealing.

Again, this question has been asked and sufficiently, for purposes of the law, answered.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #12
Stand Up

Buy a gun) Tell him to leave if he does not, charge him for 2degree criminal trespassing and Breach of Peace send a notice to his company informing them of the unlawful trespassing if you can mange to get a phone number and name of company if not get the licensing plate which I doubt they will allow you to do so because they are already operating under color of law and under perception that debt is valid and many of them are completely ignorant of the Law. If after you do a proper notice to their company under notary presentment and they then come on you property after lawfully hours of business especially after 12am and after being told that they must have court order then he can be shot like the criminal dog he is lawfully. He is not an officer of the court or law and he has no authority to commit a criminal act simply because he wants your vehicle without any court order. I know because I have seen this done twice, shot repo criminal and was cleared of all charges and then sued them on top of it along with the auto dealership. Oh, severed no jail time in fact police only took his/her statement. It is your constitutional right to protect your property and possession is right to property unless they have a court order they best come during lawful hours of business as any respected and law abiding business man would. NO ONE can come on your property if you do not invite or want them to regardless of what they are seeking unless they have authority given by Writ or some Order signed by judge. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS PEOPLE THERE ARE SOME FOOLS ON THIS BLOG THAT WOULD WANT YOU TO THINK THAT YOU NEED TO FEAR THEM FOR WHAT EVER REASON AND WANT YOU TO BELIEVE THAT A TOWING TRUCK MAN HAS MORE POWER OF AUTHORITY THEN AN OFFICER OF THE LAW and even A LAW OFFICER want do what many of these towing companies are doing without a Writ of Warrant or Order of some sort signed by a Judge. Learn to do Contract disputes under notary presentments they can not answer. All Banks and Auto Dealers operate under Fraud and Conversion through deceptive trade practice AND color of law, Failure to give full disclosure or consideration. Get your Gun out ! pop the cap -- The People are not the enemy the corporations are stop letting them turn us against each other.

Old Aug 26th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #13
Unregistered

The above tripe is absolutely the wrong advice to take if you want to remain free.

When a person stops paying on a loan for a vehicle, they are in effect stealing. Now the above poster would have them be attempted murderers - or worse - murderers as well.

The car is not worth getting into a gunfight over. Let it go. You're not paying for it anyway. It's not yours to keep. When the repo man comes, he's not "stealing your car". He's taking bank owned property to its rightful owner.

It's amazing how many people seem to think otherwise.

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The funny thing about owning property is, people can trespass legally in certain instances. Unfortunately, this is one of those instances.

What a repossessor cannot do is jump over a gate to achieve entry onto a property, cut locks on gates, and if there is a lock on your garage door (I suggest buying one and installing it), they cannot cut or otherwise tamper with the lock in order to access your garage or any of its contents (including your vehicle). Once inside any dwelling, a person is guilty of trespassing, no matter who they are or what they are there for.

Homeowners are still within their legal rights to protect themselves from danger, perceived or real. Invest in a can of mace.
Invest in a shotgun and pistol.

No one has a right to break into your home. Breaking into your home ? I'd ask an attorney about how far you can go to defend yourself, your family, and your home. Someone breaking into your home in the middle of the night is playing a very dangerous game.

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #15
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I agree with the above.

Either pay or let them take it. It is not worth the energy trying to keep them at bay. They will get it at some point and your damages owing will only be greater.
I beg to differ. The bank / loan company pays one set fee to the repossessor when and only when they repossess the vehicle. Whether it is one week or 3 years later. Just how will there be greater damages owed ????
If I'm not mistaken and I'm not an attorney but I think I saw on the news one night that in the state of Texas, if you go into a fenced yard after dark or a certain time a night [ not sure which ] The yard has to be completely fenced and have a gate with a latch. If someone goes into such yard after it's dark or certain time -- in the state of Texas you can use reasonable force to remove them from your property.
Look up-->>- Texas Castle Doctrine or Castle Law

Calling the police and having them arrested for ???? Were they trying to get into your door to get inside your house ???? They are trespassing, etc. how do you know they were'nt trying to get into your home ?

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Unregistered

Quote:
The point of the OP's question wasn't to get moral advice on whether or not she should pay. She was not asking whether she should pay or risk repossession. She asked if it was legal for the repo guy to come sneaking onto her property late at night and what can and can't a repo person do on a person's property. I.E. what are her LEGAL rights.

Please, let's stick to giving legal advice and give this OP enough credit that she's well aware of her financial obligations.
Be aware that a lot of repossesors carry guns. Some with a permit and some without a permit.
Do you want someone who's got a gun to be creeping around your home at night. Or anytime for that matter !
A lender having the right to repossess collateral is one thing. A total stranger creeping around my house
on my private property , especially at night is a totally different thing. Nothing gives anyone the right to
trespass. There are repossession laws where the lender can go into court and get a court order to bring the sherriff out to repossess the collateral. Matter of fact that in most states the expenses for repossessing thru the court / a judge ; the legal way is cheaper than paying a repossessor to basically
steal the collateral.
A sherriff's deputy comes out with a court order and doing it the legal way. There is no misunderstanding's
that way. Legal !
Some stranger, without any legal papaers from a court, a stranger that needs no special license to be a repossessor { in most states none required } The repossessor coming to your house in the middle of the night, how do you know whether they have a criminal record or not ? How do you know their not a child molestor and are your children safe? How do you kow whether or not if their a convicted rapist?
With there being little if any regulation on the repossession industry; I wonder how many people's right's have been violated. How many laws are violated by un-regulated repossessors ?

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

The country is better off by having deadbeats vehicles repossessed. It helps keep the cost of vehicles down for everyone else. Less people go out and buy vehicles they cannot afford, driving up the costs.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 6th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #18
Unregistered

You are wrong about a repossesser having low morals. As a wife of a tow truck driver/former repossesser that is insulting. He has a clean criminal record. When you have a family of 5 and not many job options in your area you will do what it takes to feed and clothe your family. Even if it means risking your life to do it. He feels bad about repossessing, but then again if people would PAY their payments it wouldn't come to that!

Quote:
Of course that would be the ideal solution. However, the OP wasn't asking for moral advice. She was asking for legal advice.

Further, nobody suggested that the OP sit up all night with a can of mace in hand. But if people are sneaking around on her property, she has the legal right to protect herself.

Just because a person is on a property for purportedly employment related purposes doesn't mean they aren't capable of criminal action. I wouldn't trust any person who resorts to working as a repossessor. That is pretty much bottom of the barrel employment that requires a person to have questionable moral character.

Old Nov 6th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #19
Unregistered

And as for you, I'm at a loss for words. Really the only word that comes to mind is IDIOT. Pretty sure to repo man was attempting to get into her HOUSE. Advising someone to buy a gun and shoot a repo man for being in their yard is extremely negligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand Up View Post
Buy a gun) Tell him to leave if he does not, charge him for 2degree criminal trespassing and Breach of Peace send a notice to his company informing them of the unlawful trespassing if you can mange to get a phone number and name of company if not get the licensing plate which I doubt they will allow you to do so because they are already operating under color of law and under perception that debt is valid and many of them are completely ignorant of the Law. If after you do a proper notice to their company under notary presentment and they then come on you property after lawfully hours of business especially after 12am and after being told that they must have court order then he can be shot like the criminal dog he is lawfully. He is not an officer of the court or law and he has no authority to commit a criminal act simply because he wants your vehicle without any court order. I know because I have seen this done twice, shot repo criminal and was cleared of all charges and then sued them on top of it along with the auto dealership. Oh, severed no jail time in fact police only took his/her statement. It is your constitutional right to protect your property and possession is right to property unless they have a court order they best come during lawful hours of business as any respected and law abiding business man would. NO ONE can come on your property if you do not invite or want them to regardless of what they are seeking unless they have authority given by Writ or some Order signed by judge. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS PEOPLE THERE ARE SOME FOOLS ON THIS BLOG THAT WOULD WANT YOU TO THINK THAT YOU NEED TO FEAR THEM FOR WHAT EVER REASON AND WANT YOU TO BELIEVE THAT A TOWING TRUCK MAN HAS MORE POWER OF AUTHORITY THEN AN OFFICER OF THE LAW and even A LAW OFFICER want do what many of these towing companies are doing without a Writ of Warrant or Order of some sort signed by a Judge. Learn to do Contract disputes under notary presentments they can not answer. All Banks and Auto Dealers operate under Fraud and Conversion through deceptive trade practice AND color of law, Failure to give full disclosure or consideration. Get your Gun out ! pop the cap -- The People are not the enemy the corporations are stop letting them turn us against each other.

Old Nov 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #20
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

A breach of peace requires violence or the threat of violence. Laws for repossession agents vary by state, and in many states it is permissible for them to come on to your property to obtain the vehicle.

A court order is not generally required because if you read your loan in its entirety you will find you AGREED to allow the repossession if you default on the loan.

Here is how Buy Here/Pay Here lots get you. In most states the law for a default is a missed payment, which on a traditional loan is monthly. On BH/PH, payments are bi-weekly or even weekly. This allows them to repossess much faster.
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 12130 times