Can the repo man break open my garage door

This is a discussion on Can the repo man break open my garage door within the Debt Collection forum, part of the BANKRUPTCY & DEBT COLLECTIONS category; Can the repo man break open my garage door if I have not paid in 7 months?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Can the repo man break open my garage door

Can the repo man break open my garage door if I have not paid in 7 months?
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:57 AM   #2
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can the repo man break open my garage door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can the repo man break open my garage door if I have not paid in 7 months?
Different states have different laws governing the actions of repossession agents. Repossession agents are given a bit of latitude when coming onto someone's property to take back a vehicle. If the gate or garage is unlocked, they are allowed to open and enter the property to gain access to the collateral. They may NOT, however, break into a garage or cut a lock on a gate in order to gain access.

The vehicle is gone now, and the repo man can't to be forced to return it to you. They are, however, liable for any damages caused by breaking into the garage. They may also be subject to criminal penalties for breaking and entering, but you would need to prove that the garage door was locked and secured and that they were the ones that broke in order to prosecute them.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Can the repo man break open my garage door

It doesn't matter how far behind you are in your payments. Repossessors cannot break into private property.

Sandyclaus is correct. If you can prove they damaged, or broke into your garage, you can sue them for damages.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 4563 times