Retail theft punishment? - I mistakenly put something in my pocket

This is a discussion on Retail theft punishment? - I mistakenly put something in my pocket within the Other Criminal Law Matters forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; Good afternoon, I had an incident in a super market where I had mistakenly put something in my pocket while ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Retail theft punishment? - I mistakenly put something in my pocket

Good afternoon,

I had an incident in a super market where I had mistakenly put something in my pocket while answering my phone and forgot to pay for it and got caught shoplifting. It was a $2 powerbar. I was issued a misdemeanor write up from a cop in the store and have a court date in 2 weeks. I don't plan on getting an attorney as it seems like a trivial offense. My main concern is about having this expunged from my record. I don't want to drag this out and plead not guilty (since there is video evidence I was guilty, even if by accident) so is my best bet to plead guilty and try to get the judge to just dismiss it as an infraction? Or should I propose some sort of community service to get this expunged? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Retail theft punishment? - I mistakenly put something in my pocket

It is not trivial.

Hire a lawyer and arrange to keep that off your record or you will have job issues etc for the next 20 years...

I would not take this lightly--the judge will often not take it lightly.

Much easier for the lawyer to make sure this does not somehow stay on your record.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Unregistered

I have been arrested twice for retail theft once in 1999 and the most recent one jan of 2008 I am scheduled to got court on mar 13. What am i facing, I have a ggod job, starting going to support group for people that steal.

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Unregistered

jail time not exiding ten years if convicted. hire a lawer

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #5
Unregistered

I am sorry but I highly doubt he is going to jail for putting a power bar in his pocket by accident. This is ludacris. The courts have no time for nonsense with all the real crime and drugs. There is no room in a jail for someone that accidenty took a $2.00 power bar. Belive me I have been dealing with the court system with someone very close to me and you are not going to jail for this. the worst you would get is a fine and community servie i bet. But are you on probation for anything? and what state do you live in? In Ct you violate probation then your going to jail. Good Luck

Old Feb 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Unregistered

EEK! re: Retail theft punishment? - I mistakenly put something in my pocket

i stold from a girl at school and now i am suspended from school so i have to write a two page report on laws and punishment

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #7
Unregistered

Exclamation re: Retail theft punishment? - I mistakenly put something in my pocket

you probably stole it on purpose.
mav richardson

Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Unregistered

Cool re: Retail theft punishment? - I mistakenly put something in my pocket

I stole 220 dollars worth of stuff from walmart what are the possible charges that i could face. and what are some possible out comes?

Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM   #9
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Depending on state laws a 2nd can carry jail no matter what the dollar value. There are amny factors that will play into this. May I suggest you vist the forum I hve linked here. It for accused shoplifters to get answers without being judged or attacked

Shoplifting After Your Caught :: Index
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #10

Please help and advise!

My cousin is caught at Dominicks store (2 days ago), Chicago for 2$, he paid the amount then and there – It was not intentional, they asked him to come inside and pay 2$. They took copy of his ID card and said this is just for our records (did not fill any form or signature).
Unfortunately similar incident happened with him in same store in Dec, 2007 for $15 and he was asked to pay $575 by civil debt Collection Company. He paid the full amount. They said they will close the file and send a acknowledgement with in 2 months. Its been 15 days since amount was paid and now we are not sure and worried if it is a misdemeanor or felony and what would be the consequences. Please advise and guide.
Help_plz is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 7572 times