Getting rights back after a felony conviction

This is a discussion on Getting rights back after a felony conviction within the Other Criminal Law Matters forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; I was convicted of a felony in texas and did time. I have been out since 1995, 13 years clean. ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Getting rights back after a felony conviction

I was convicted of a felony in texas and did time. I have been out since 1995, 13 years clean. Can I file to get my rights back to vote, carry a gun (etc)? If so How?
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Texas-TAO Send a message via Yahoo to Texas-TAO

View Member's Myspace Profile
Default Re: Getting rights back after a felony conviction

I can tell you for a fact that State law in Texas prohibits convicted felons from possessing or carrying firearms or ammunition. If you are caught with either one in your possession you can get in serious trouble.

Member of the Texas Adjudication Outreach (A registered Non-Profit Organization with both the State of Texas and U.S. Government)

txnda.org
txda.org
tajlr.com
deferredadjudication.org

Last edited by Texas-TAO; Jan 16th, 2008 at 05:58 AM.
Texas-TAO is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3

Confused Re: Getting rights back after a felony conviction

i got a statutory rape charge in 1998. i was wondering how would i go about getting my voting and gun license rights. i live in georgia.

Last edited by basilflo; Feb 25th, 2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: quik reply
basilflo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilflo View Post
i got a statutory rape charge in 1998. i was wondering how would i go about getting my voting and gun license rights. i live in georgia.Online
voting and gun license rights

Last edited by top_admin; May 5th, 2008 at 11:52 PM.
basilflo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Texas-TAO Send a message via Yahoo to Texas-TAO

View Member's Myspace Profile

In alot of states where the offense is a felony crime, whether deferred or not, in alot of cases you are not ever eligible to have a gun or ammo in your possession or apply for a license. I am speaking from experience in the State of Texas however I was never charged for any rape crimes but my charge was a felony.

In some States where you recieved Deferred Adjudication and successfully completed it, your voting rights are restored (like Texas for example).

Member of the Texas Adjudication Outreach (A registered Non-Profit Organization with both the State of Texas and U.S. Government)

txnda.org
txda.org
tajlr.com
deferredadjudication.org

Last edited by Texas-TAO; Feb 26th, 2008 at 10:38 PM.
Texas-TAO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Unregistered

Subject: Re: Gun rights restored ofter a felony conviction in the state of Texas
Answered By: hagan-ga on 11 May 2006 13:45 PDT

Hello James. I have mixed good and bad news for you. Since the supervision attendant to your conviction ended more than five years ago, it appears that you can own a firearm -- but you cannot carry one. You can keep the firearm only at home. See Section 46.04(a)(2) of the Texas Penal Code at http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/pe.toc.htm;

There is a process in Texas by which your civil rights can be restored. You indicated that your conviction was for mail fraud, and you served your sentence in a Federal camp. This indicates to me that your conviction was under Federal law. Texas has a "First Offender Restoration Process" for federal offenders with only one conviction, as long as the conviction did not involve drugs, guns, violence or firearms. Under this process, the Governor may restore the offender's civil rights under Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, Section 48.05.

"Federal and foreign first offenders become eligible for restoration of rights three years after federal convictions, and two years after foreign convictions. Offenders may apply either to local sheriff, who sends it on to the Board, or directly to the Board, which conducts a paper review. Contact: Maria Ramirez, Board of Pardons and Parole, 512-406-5852, maria.ramirez@tdcj.state.tx.us"

See:
The Sentencing Project

I hope this information has been helpful. Please let me know if I can provide any further information. Best of luck.

Last edited by top_admin; May 6th, 2008 at 12:04 AM.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Unregistered

I am 22 with a Bachelors degree in science and minor in biology from TTU, I received a federal class E felony when I was 18, I've had a speeding ticket since, thats all, would I be able to have my rights restored as well? I plan on going to graduate school in Florida.

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Unregistered

Confused Re: Getting rights back after a felony conviction

i had a felony conviction in fl.
for marijauna back in '84' can i get this expunged so i can get insurance licensed in fl. and get my rights back and any idea what something like this might cost

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #9
pla99@aol.com

I have a felony conviction from 10 years ago.
I have my rights restored with the exception of ability to carry firearms.
The charge was falsifying a police record and official misconduct.
Can I have my rights restored to carry a firearm?

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #10
Unregistered

how do i get my rights back after convicted of felony in georgia.first degree forgery

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 42 replies and has been viewed 46466 times