Ohio gun laws for felons

This is a discussion on Ohio gun laws for felons within the Other Criminal Law Matters forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; ok iv read through the previous posts and nothing iv seen is black and white about this i live in ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #51
Unregistered

Default Re: Ohio gun laws for felons

ok iv read through the previous posts and nothing iv seen is black and white about this i live in ohio iv had two felonies one was dropped and the case was closed the other was a traffic violation driving on a suspended lisc. am i prohibited from buying and owning a gun in this state or no also the traffic violation which which i was convicted of ordered to pay a fine nothing more was in a different city in ohio and different county if you need anything more spec. please feel free to ask any info would be greatly appreciated thank you

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #52
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by former felon View Post
Legit question. The gun shop has to do a background check with NICS. Your record will come up. At present, acceptance of an R.C. 2923.14 Court Order is hit or miss. Two options: (1) If you are denied, you can appeal it, in which case the worse that can happen is that you have to wait for the Governor to sign current bills into law. (2) You could just wait until the bills are signed into law in which nobody will question your right to carry.

The answer to your other question is that you can use the time you're waiting to go ahead and take your class and get your concealed carry license. Take your court order with you when you go to the Sheriff's office.
What bill? I don't live in Ohio anymore so I'm not familiar with these bills......17 years since my cinviction would live some relief....................

Old Aug 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #53
Unregistered

Does anyone know if felons are aloud to bow hunt. In 2004 I was convicted of felony 2 burglary did 2 years and 2 years probation I am off now just wandered if I was legally able since its considered Primitive. Any information would be helpful

Old Sep 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #54
Unregistered

We also live in Dayton, ohio and can not find any info on this question. Having 2 felony are you able to hunt with a bow? Anyone have answers???? Not a list of law stuff cause it makes no sence to me.

Old Dec 29th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #55
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
We also live in Dayton, ohio and can not find any info on this question. Having 2 felony are you able to hunt with a bow? Anyone have answers???? Not a list of law stuff cause it makes no sence to me.
No weapons of any kind for a felon in ohio

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #56
Unregistered

EEK! Re: Ohio gun laws for felons

Quote:
Most traffic offenses generally are not considered criminal, and most of these traffic offenses are set forth in Title 45 of the Revised Code. Ohio's body of criminal law can be categorized broadly in two categories: whether the offense is a misdemeanor or a felony.

Felony offenses are the most severe, punishable by higher fines, actual time in prison (compared to county jail for misdemeanors) and loss of civil rights. Convicted felons cannot own or posses firearms unless a court has restored them to their civil rights. However, as will be discussed in Chapter 2, the Ohio gun owner needs to be aware that not just felony convictions will disqualify a citizen from owning a firearm and/or getting a concealed carry license. Some misdemeanors may also disqualify a citizen from owning a firearm.
im a felon in Ohio of a felony of the fifth degree B&E and went to the gun store and the government approved me for guns, by the way it is illegal for the FBI to approve you for a gun if you are illegal to own a gun in the state you are applying in so they would not approve you in Ohio if you are under any disability's of the Ohio revised code 2923.13 hope this helps. but all felony's in Ohio bar you from getting a CCW.

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #57
Unregistered

Lightbulb Re: Ohio gun laws for felons

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttohunt View Post
I would like to know what if any guns I can own for the purpose of hunting. I was convicted in 1995 and released in 2001. Then I was released from parole in 2002. I have had no other criminal offenses since 1995. I live in Ohio and haven't been able to find anything on this matter. Thank you for reading this and I would greatly appreciate any help!
im a felon in Ohio of a felony of the fifth degree B&E and went to the gun store and the government approved me for guns, by the way it is illegal for the government to approve you for a gun if you are illegal to own a gun in the state you are applying in so they would not approve you in Ohio if you are under any disability's of the Ohio revised code 2923.13 hope this helps. but all felony's in Ohio bar you from getting a CCW. do your research knowledge goes a long way to keep your civil rights and out of jail or prison. and don't rely on what the sheriffs say they will lie to you cause there against us and having guns,and support your local NRA people they are the ones that fight for your rights.

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #58
Unregistered

i do have felonys on my record they are 4th and 5th degree . i have no violent charges or drug charges ever ..can i own a handgun or rifle in the state of ohio?

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #59
Unregistered

Quote:
i do have felonys on my record they are 4th and 5th degree . i have no violent charges or drug charges ever ..can i own a handgun or rifle in the state of ohio?
I also have a felony, I filed a motion to the courts asking for relief and was told that the court could not grant the relief because after further review I was not under a disability in Ohio... However I filed for a CWP out of stated and was just denied, they said my conviction has me under a state disability ... Ohio has automatic restoration of civil rights for non violent, non drug , non domestic violence felons that is applied to you 1 year after release from custody or probation,parole. I am now lost and need help to figure this out. As much as you... Grrrrrr

Old Dec 19th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #60
Unregistered

To the last poster on July 26th.

The best option or course to take is to 1) contact a lawyer, costly, 2) apply for relief of disability in the state in which you reside not just the state in which the conviction occurred.

Also, submit your court order of expungement to the NICS, FBI, ATF and any other local jurisdiction.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 62 replies and has been viewed 59193 times