WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Other Criminal Law Matters > In Texas, is it illegal for a 17 year old girl to have sex with a 22 year old man?

In Texas, is it illegal for a 17 year old girl to have sex with a 22 year old man?

This is a discussion on In Texas, is it illegal for a 17 year old girl to have sex with a 22 year old man? within the Other Criminal Law Matters forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; Originally Posted by Unregistered It is kind of annoying for you people that didn't actually read the law or understand ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 12:58 AM   #61
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is kind of annoying for you people that didn't actually read the law or understand it to come in here and comment. I read the law beforehand but just wanted to get confirmation that the age of consent is 17 because I had always thought that it is 18 in Texas. I wound up in this forum and most of you didn't clear it up for me. I would recommend that the people saying that it is 18 close your mouths and quit disrespecting people who just want the facts. Read the law. A 17 year old could have sex with a 90 year if both parties consented. The age of consent is 17.
Is this true? Can a 17 yr old have sex with a 30 yr old?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM   #62
Unregistered

YEs a 17 yr old can have sEx and you DONT have to be grown just to have sex and we are mature and damn there grown so people need to stop saying stuff about 18 or older because that dont matter...

Old Aug 4th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #63
Unregistered

So you're a lawyer but don't know the difference between "your" and "you're"?

Old Aug 19th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #64
Unregistered

17 is age of consent. You can have sex with anyone 17 and up. Now,14 year olds up to 17 can have sex with someone no more than three years older than them. You are all good. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. Jk, I'm just 17 and love sex.xD

Old Sep 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #65
Unregistered

Quote:
17 is age of consent. You can have sex with anyone 17 and up. Now,14 year olds up to 17 can have sex with someone no more than three years older than them. You are all good. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. Jk, I'm just 17 and love sex.xD
Great answer.

And to anyone who has put their moral opinions above accurate legal advice is only going to do more damage and hurt to those in this situation. I've been doing research on all legal rights of a 17 year old rights or weeks now. 17 is in fact the legal age of consent. There is no age limitations as to how old the other party can be unless they are 16 or younger, then it becomes more complicated. 17 year olds can move out in the state of Texas, and the most the law enforcement can do is tell the 17 year old that their parents are wanting them to come home.

People on this thread obviously haven't had much of a rough life, if you were 17 and your parents were drug addicts and your father hit you every time he was angry, the smart thing to do would be to remove yourself from the situation rather than endure the suffering instilled upon you. Now throw in bein a pregnant 17 year old in the same situation, do you "morally correct" people still think its "dumb" to move out? What if the 22 year old to be father of the child was not only financially stable, but wanted nothing more than to help his gf who he "knocked up"? Does that still make it wrong in your eyes? If so then you're the dumb ones.

Old Oct 14th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #66
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessoflubboc View Post
Just to make a point - since I try and avoid ancient threads generally.

The first time I married I was 17, 3 months from 18. My husband was 22. We met at work (I graduated early but my mother would not allow me to attend college as the students were so much older, which backfired). I had our first child a year and two weeks after we were married. Before our next child was born 11 months later my husband had been killed at work. But we had a nice apartment and were beginning the search for a house.

Not all 17 year olds are immature. Many are but you cant use a random age to quantify maturity. I've met plenty of 30 year olds who could grow up a little.

In the state of Texas the age of consent is 17. At that point there is no illegal age gap. Not knowing the parties involved its just as possible the 22 year old was less mature. That's why we don't go there....

Okay so if you got married at 17 3 months before you were 18 was it legal because of how close you were to being 18?? Or say a 16 year old is 2 months away from being 17 and the Guy she is truly in love with (I know it sounds stupid but please take it seriously I really need the legal way to work things out I don't want to ruin any lives) is 4 months from being 21... they are both willing to wait for her to turn 18, but they are both struggling with not being able to show affection like most of their friends.. I was trying to see if the parents of the girl have to approve of the relationship since she will only be 17... but I keep hearing that 17 is legal in many ways I'm Texas and I was wondering if this was one of them... please only reply if you KNOW what you are talking about... I'm not trying to pick fights or mess with anyone I just need this information.

Old Oct 16th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #67
Unregistered

Quote:
Okay so if you got married at 17 3 months before you were 18 was it legal because of how close you were to being 18?? Or say a 16 year old is 2 months away from being 17 and the Guy she is truly in love with (I know it sounds stupid but please take it seriously I really need the legal way to work things out I don't want to ruin any lives) is 4 months from being 21... they are both willing to wait for her to turn 18, but they are both struggling with not being able to show affection like most of their friends.. I was trying to see if the parents of the girl have to approve of the relationship since she will only be 17... but I keep hearing that 17 is legal in many ways I'm Texas and I was wondering if this was one of them... please only reply if you KNOW what you are talking about... I'm not trying to pick fights or mess with anyone I just need this information.

i would say wait the two months if her family has a problem with it. it's only 2 months and after that no one can say anything because as of 2012 texas law states that 17 is the legal age of concent. (don't freak out on me this next part is just hear say i don't think much of it but i was talking to a sheriff in my town and he said there's talk about it changing to 15. me being a mother myself i don't like it i have a 12 year old daughter) i understand where your coming from though me and my husband have a 9 year difference.

Old Oct 24th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #68
Unregistered

Wow this is a heated thread.
And the girl who bashed the lawyer is amazing.
Thank u for the entertainment everyone.

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #69
Unregistered

Quote:
REALLY IM A LAWYER IN TEXAS... SO YOUR TELLING ME THAT YOUR 17 AND CONSIDER YOURSELF AN ADULT WHO CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT...HMMM I SEEM TO REMEMBER THAT YOUR PARENTS ARE STILL RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS UNTIL 18 YEARS OLD UNLESS YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN SUPPORTING YOURSELF AND FILING YOUR OWN TAXES AT THE AGE OF 16 .. PERHAPS MSS. GROWN UP YOU SHOULD LOOK UP THE LAW AS WELL AS THE FOOT NOTES AND EXCEPTIONS IT CARRIES...JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING AND ONLY GET 1/2 THE INFO DOESNT MAKE YOU SMART UNTIL YOU DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH
You're a lawyer? Yet you can't spell 'you're' right. Lol

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #70
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: In Texas, is it illegal for a 17 year old girl to have sex with a 22 year old man

The nice thing about 17 is that one knows everything. The drawback about being 17 is that feelings predominate over clear, logical thinking. Living in the moment and in a fantasy world about how they would like things to be is par for the course when one is 17. Ask one where they want to be 5 years from now and if a blank stare is the response -- or "with Johnny", their love of the moment is more likely.

A girl who says, "a doctor", "a lawyer" would not be on this forum asking about having sex at 17 fpr she should be smart enough to know that could well mean having one or more infants and derailing her future.

Being 17 and thinking with one's emotions instead of rationally and long term is why so many end up as mothers long before they are adults.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
${99774+99652}

This thread has 92 replies and has been viewed 88457 times