Dropped charges? What could be the reasons they reopened the case?

This is a discussion on Dropped charges? What could be the reasons they reopened the case? within the Other Criminal Law Matters forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; Califronia - A friend of mine was arrested as a robbery suspect four months ago, and after being held for ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1
MiaCole's Flag is: United States

Default Dropped charges? What could be the reasons they reopened the case?

Califronia - A friend of mine was arrested as a robbery suspect four months ago, and after being held for two weeks the charges were dropped against him. Because he had a federal parole hold him they kept him until the feds came and picked him up. After serving three months the federal judge released him for his violation. After being out for a month he contacted the police department that had arrested him to get back his items they had taking for evidence in the robbery case. When he called the police department the officer he spoke to was surprised and asked him "Are you out?". The next week the office calls him and tells him it okay for him to come in and pick up his things; but when he gets there they arrest him and tell him they're reopening his case. I have never dealt with anything like this before and I'm wodering if this is legal and what could be the reasons they reopened the case? Are could it be the police department don't want him out while the other two suspects are in trial?
MiaCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Dropped charges? What could be the reasons they reopened the case?

Whether he has been faced the trial? What is the reason for dropping the charges against him? You have to contact with the court clerk and get the status of the case. From the facts it is understood that he has been released by the court. If he has been released on the basis of a court order then the police have no right to arrest him for the same charges. There are so many reasons for reopening a case. If they want to reopen the case they should have produce clear and convincing reason before the court. It seems that, better you consult with a Criminal Attorney ASAP, who can give a proper guidance in this regard.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM   #3
MiaCole's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Dropped charges? What could be the reasons they reopened the case?

Thank you for replying Lexus. He never went to court for the charges when he was first arrested, I'm not one hundred percent sure but I believe the police department dropped the charges on him due to lack of evidence linking him to the robbery. On the jail's custody report they have his court date set for tomorrow with the other two suspects, but when I called the court they said that the DA hasn't filed a complaint against him. Thank you again for your help.
MiaCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
califronia, federal judge, charges, police department, robbery suspect

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2454 times