How to dismissed or dropped charges of domestic violence harassment

This is a discussion on How to dismissed or dropped charges of domestic violence harassment within the Other Criminal Law Matters forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; My boyfriend was arrested on Wednesday night because I had called the cops. I was upset because he had locked ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

 

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Unregistered
Guest
 

Unregistered's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a

Confused How to dismissed or dropped charges of domestic violence harassment

My boyfriend was arrested on Wednesday night because I had called the cops. I was upset because he had locked me out of my apartment on accident and it was late and I had had a few drinks. The cops were called because the situation escalated and I wanted someone to mediate and just to ask him to leave for a little while. When i was shuffling around his things he had grabbed my arm and had swung a towel at me. I do not believe that this was intended to hurt me, however the cops arrested him and he spent the night in jail. We will be going to court on Wednesday and I am curious as if there is anything I can do so he does not have to deal with this. I know that even if I don't press charges the state still will. Is there anything I can do to get this dismissed or dropped. Really anything I can do. He is not a violent person nor is he mean really in anyway the situation just escalated and neither of us took the time to breathe, calm down and just step away from the situation. I know better next time. Please anything I can do to help.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Unregistered
Guest
 

Unregistered's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: How to dismissed or dropped charges of domestic violence harassment

Try speaking to the DA,
They have the right to continue to pursue the case on their own (even if you don't want them to) but if they feel this was a one-time incident and will never happen again--they may drop it or agree to counseling. They want to make sure no abuse is continuing if and when you two are back together.
  Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Unregistered
Guest
 

Unregistered's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: How to dismissed or dropped charges of domestic violence harassment

Where do you live? What state do you live in? I am looking at a similar situation. There was a call to the cops over an argument and a person was grabbed by the arm. There are two minor scratches on the arm that are now gone. There was an arrest made and time spent in jail for the night. We were informed that this would be a felony. There is no previous history of violence or this type of behavior. What will happen next? There is a court date scheduled for June.

Thank you for your response
  Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #4
Top Level Member
 
Lexus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,916

Default Re: How to dismissed or dropped charges of domestic violence harassment

Form the facts it is understood that you have called the police in a grave and sudden provocation and you never thought that the police will charge your boy friend with DV. You can meet the prosecutor/district attorney let him know that you donít want to press the charges. As you said the State will press the charge but the prosecutor will consider your request and as it is a first time offence he may submit to the court that State donít want to press the charges. But hey may be asked to participate in a class for family violence program with probation .If he completes these without any issues the charges against him will be dropped. It is better advised that you may consult with a Criminal Attorney who can give a proper guidance in this regard.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Top Level Member
Country:  
randalljd's Flag is: United States
 
randalljd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 728

Default Re: How to dismissed or dropped charges of domestic violence harassment

It sometimes helps to have legal counsel intervene and contact the prosecutor.

Anger management or counseling etc. might be possible rather than a court proceeding.
randalljd is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Junior Member
Country:  
kathleenshacks's Flag is: Canada
 

kathleenshacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1

Default Re: How to dismissed or dropped charges of domestic violence harassment

My boyfriend and I got I to an argument early in the morning lasted five minutes some neigbourz herd and called the cops I had no say In it . Which I find isnt fair . I had egged my Bf on and was trying to make him madehe had told me go away and relax calm down but I was radeging he eve. Left to try and calm me down . I looked away as he hit me in the eye I could his face he didn't mean we talked that second after he didn't mean it I got out of hand and he hit me I mean I was asking for it but now I have been removed and live in a sheter I have no family but his mom and him as I was kicked out and of my acutel home do to my step dad and his abusive so I do have a understanding the hit wasn't hard it was a slappand I bruise easily I didn't hit the wall or get throw. At oi didn't even fall Dow.n he's being charged and we can't see each other , I got take. Out my home . How do I go about getting back home and getting the chargers dropped because I didn't even make the phone call I need help I'm 19 and want my family Idont want to Live In a. A shelter I need help
kathleenshacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Moderator
Country:  
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States
 
sandyclaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The North Pole, silly ;)
Posts: 6,359

Default Re: How to dismissed or dropped charges of domestic violence harassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleenshacks View Post
My boyfriend and I got I to an argument early in the morning lasted five minutes some neigbourz herd and called the cops I had no say In it . Which I find isnt fair . I had egged my Bf on and was trying to make him madehe had told me go away and relax calm down but I was radeging he eve. Left to try and calm me down . I looked away as he hit me in the eye I could his face he didn't mean we talked that second after he didn't mean it I got out of hand and he hit me I mean I was asking for it but now I have been removed and live in a sheter I have no family but his mom and him as I was kicked out and of my acutel home do to my step dad and his abusive so I do have a understanding the hit wasn't hard it was a slappand I bruise easily I didn't hit the wall or get throw. At oi didn't even fall Dow.n he's being charged and we can't see each other , I got take. Out my home . How do I go about getting back home and getting the chargers dropped because I didn't even make the phone call I need help I'm 19 and want my family Idont want to Live In a. A shelter I need help
Get a clue, honey.

There is no excuse for a heated argument to get physical. No excuse at all. They ALWAYS say they didn't mean it, that they are sorry, and that they won't do it again. The majority of the time, what they MEAN is, "I'm sorry that I got caught. Please don't send me to jail."

The police departments now have policies in force that if they WITNESS domestic violence, or if there is evidence of violence taking place (cuts, bruises, or more severe injuries), they are REQUIRED BY LAW to arrest and prosecute. They don't need you to press charges, because the evidence they need to obtain a conviction is right there in front of them.

Your neighbors did nothing wrong. They simply summoned police because they felt you were in danger - and apparently, by the evidence, they were right to do so. Who knows what may have happened if the police didn't come to stop him?

I suggest that you contact a Domestic Violence counselor and let them help you. The justice system will take care of the boyfriend. You need to let them do their job, and maybe, just maybe, the boyfriend will get scared straight and this may never happen again. Until then, you'll just have to get along without him.
__________________
"If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
"You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Unregistered
Guest
 

Unregistered's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Have him set a trial date, tell the states attourney that you don't want any charges at all on him. When the case goes to trial, don't show up. Ignore the subpeona. Courts don't penalize victims. Worked for me.
  Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Unregistered
Guest
 

Unregistered's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Have him set a trial date, tell the states attourney that you don't want any charges at all on him. When the case goes to trial, don't show up. Ignore the subpeona. Courts don't penalize victims. Worked for me.
Im in the same situation I want to return home to my boyfriend and I do not want to press charges. If the
state pursues the case, will they automatically set a restraining order even if I dont want it?
  Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Unregistered
Guest
 

Unregistered's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyclaus View Post
Get a clue, honey.

There is no excuse for a heated argument to get physical. No excuse at all. They ALWAYS say they didn't mean it, that they are sorry, and that they won't do it again. The majority of the time, what they MEAN is, "I'm sorry that I got caught. Please don't send me to jail."

The police departments now have policies in force that if they WITNESS domestic violence, or if there is evidence of violence taking place (cuts, bruises, or more severe injuries), they are REQUIRED BY LAW to arrest and prosecute. They don't need you to press charges, because the evidence they need to obtain a conviction is right there in front of them.

Your neighbors did nothing wrong. They simply summoned police because they felt you were in danger - and apparently, by the evidence, they were right to do so. Who knows what may have happened if the police didn't come to stop him?

I suggest that you contact a Domestic Violence counselor and let them help you. The justice system will take care of the boyfriend. You need to let them do their job, and maybe, just maybe, the boyfriend will get scared straight and this may never happen again. Until then, you'll just have to get along without him.
Dear sandy clause aka ( bitter dyke )
Please get a life. This individual was looking for legal advice not counseling from a neo nazi conservative cristian, which by the soud of the response hasn't had a relationship of her own in years. Maybe you should take up a hobby and seek counseling for your apparent disturbing hate for men.
  Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Reply

Bookmark & Share

Tags
harassment

This thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 39000 times

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Format Your Messages
Add Forum to Google Toolbar
Forum Jump

Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I get domestic violence charges dropped. Court is Thursday Aug. 30th!!! sarahdw Civil Litigation 25 May 23rd, 2014 02:49 PM
Arrested at work, dismissed, charges dropped Nexg Hiring, Firing, Wrongful Termination 8 Apr 9th, 2014 03:09 PM
how to get domestic assault charges dropped fatcow1 Domestic Violence & Abuse 12 Mar 9th, 2014 07:18 PM
Domestic charges might be dropped, my husband is facing 3 charges Fe1086 Other Criminal Law Matters 4 Aug 11th, 2012 09:58 AM
Domestic alleged... Can the false charges be dropped? Skylark Trials & Sentencing 1 Jan 5th, 2011 02:02 PM


Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.