explicit photos and video of ourselves while we were together

This is a discussion on explicit photos and video of ourselves while we were together within the Other Criminal Law Matters forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; I was wondering if there is anything I can do about this... I broke up with my ex a few ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused explicit photos and video of ourselves while we were together

I was wondering if there is anything I can do about this...

I broke up with my ex a few months ago...and we weren't talking for a while because we were both pretty angry...we started talking again recently, and I had forgotten to ask him about this, but I had sent him explicit photos of myself and we had also made an explicit video of ourselves while we were together...I asked him if he would get rid of any file he has or any copy he has, and he said that because he was given them / he filmed us with consent, that it is his property and he is able to do whatever he wants with them as long as he isn't displaying them publicly, or selling them...he then said that he'd get rid of them if I payed for the disc...I wasn't clear about what he meant, so I asked him how much a disc would cost...thinking it'd be the cost of the blank dvd...and he said, "how much are the files worth to you?"...

I would just like to know if there is anything I can do about the photos? Or is there anything I can do at all about the situation? I'm from Ontario, Canada, so I would need advice for this region...

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Top Level Member
able1's Flag is: United States

Default re: explicit photos and video of ourselves while we were together

He can be charged with a crime if he posts that publicly;
let him know!
able1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #3

Take him to the cops for black mail
Amore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore View Post
Take him to the cops for black mail

You people on here without any legal experience make me laugh.

Firstly, he would actually have to display them on a website, etc. Also there would have to be sufficiently convincing evidence that he himself did the posting.

Secondly, do you have any linked proof/logs/emails from him that specifically states "how much it is worth to you?" (though hopefully he was more explicit about blackmail than just that line) Play along with and log the chats. Then, if you feel like it, take that information and pursue criminal charges (though I think this is a misdemeanor...)

Pissing off your ex in this situation is a bad idea if you don't want the pictures to be released. Be sure you know what you're doing. It's very possible one of his friends might "find it" or something, or he claims that's what happened. Make sure you have at least some hard evidence of blackmail or his intentions to post them before you start upsetting him directly.

Without that evidence he can easily post them without any legal recourse on your part (at least none that's any success).

~Matt
J.D.L Duke University

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1380 times