Domestic violence misdemeanor: Can I purchase a firearm?

This is a discussion on Domestic violence misdemeanor: Can I purchase a firearm? within the Other Criminal Law Matters forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; I live in Michigan and had just plead to a domestic violence misdemeanor. I was sentenced to 45 days in ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Domestic violence misdemeanor: Can I purchase a firearm?

I live in Michigan and had just plead to a domestic violence misdemeanor. I was sentenced to 45 days in county jail. When my personal belongings were picked up the paper from the police station read "cruelty to spouse-non violent". So I have a few questions...1) Can I purchase a firearm? Rifle/handgun? 2) Can I possess a firearm? I have several rifles that was purchased prior to my conviction. I want to get them out of my home if I am not even allowed to have them.
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Default re: Domestic violence misdemeanor: Can I purchase a firearm?

I have not seen Michigan law but as a general rule a Domestic Violence conviction will result in your gun rights being stripped fo ten years
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Unregistered

I have found info on gun laws and domestic violence misdemeanor and it stated that you can not purchase or own a gun.But.....for assault & battery you can. How ridiculous is that. They are both essentially the same thing but the DV is because you have had a relationship (ie wife, husband g/f, etc).

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member
lori509's Flag is: United States

wanna hear the bummer?...

It's federal law and lifelong which means you need to pass those babies down to your closest relative. After that you can contact your local sheriff's office to make sure that the federal law applies directly to your case. (The non-violent part throws me off a bit....)

In many states the sheriff's dept. will come and seize your weapons after a DV plea.
lori509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori509 View Post
wanna hear the bummer?...

It's federal law and lifelong which means you need to pass those babies down to your closest relative. After that you can contact your local sheriff's office to make sure that the federal law applies directly to your case. (The non-violent part throws me off a bit....)

In many states the sheriff's dept. will come and seize your weapons after a DV plea.
Whats even sadder is that the same act can be committed by the same person but to another (non relation) and it only be assault/battery. Then it would be okay to possess/purchase a gun in Michigan. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Old Apr 30th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #6
Unregistered

Default Re: Domestic violence misdemeanor: Can I purchase a firearm?

U.S. v. Wegrzyn, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals held that as long as you are no longer incarcerated for the Domestic Violence conviction, you are no longer “convicted,” because, while your voting rights are stripped during the incarceration under MCL 168.758b, this is a civil right that is “restored” as soon as your incarceration has ended. See 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(33)(B)(ii) (“while confined”).

Old May 1st, 2013, 01:25 AM   #7
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
U.S. v. Wegrzyn, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals held that as long as you are no longer incarcerated for the Domestic Violence conviction, you are no longer “convicted,” because, while your voting rights are stripped during the incarceration under MCL 168.758b, this is a civil right that is “restored” as soon as your incarceration has ended. See 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(33)(B)(ii) (“while confined”).
While this is a necropost I think it's important to clarify.

The restoration of gun rights is ONLY if the misdeamenant did not serve jail time. OP in this long ago case did.
United States v Wegrzyn, 106 F Supp 2d 959, 960 (WD Mich, 2000) read it all.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 8571 times