Posting Someones personal info on the web

This is a discussion on Posting Someones personal info on the web within the Other Criminal Law Matters forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; I created a post hinting to sex with someone else phone number and address. Someone went to her home and ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #1
Unregistered

Question Posting Someones personal info on the web

I created a post hinting to sex with someone else phone number and address. Someone went to her home and said she is pressing charges on me. She only thinks it was me because she broke up my marriage bt said she has my I address.

I am in Maryland and she is in Florida.

Can she press charges one me? Can I go to jail like she said?

I need to know asap. I am a stay at home mom of two and there is noone els to care for them.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Posting Someones personal info on the web

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I created a post hinting to sex with someone else phone number and address. Someone went to her home and said she is pressing charges on me. She only thinks it was me because she broke up my marriage bt said she has my I address.

I am in Maryland and she is in Florida.

Can she press charges one me? Can I go to jail like she said?

I need to know asap. I am a stay at home mom of two and there is noone els to care for them.

Thanks,
Stephanie
This is actually serious. You have to be careful posting things like that. More laws have been established to punish people from doing such things as this. Its dangerous. Shame Shame......

OK, now that I got that out of the way heres the scoop. If they can trace the email/post by IP to your address or by your own admission then yes you may be subject to arrest or civil suits if that state has such a law or laws established. Venue must be determined first since you live outside the "victims" state. I dont know what else to tell you, but I have seen persons arrested for such acts in Ohio.
tswift is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #3
Unregistered

Confused Re: Posting Someones personal info on the web

How can I find Florida laws?

I know I messed up. I was so upset over her stealing my husband my head was not on straight. I did not think before acting.

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #4

Quote:
How can I find Florida laws?

I know I messed up. I was so upset over her stealing my husband my head was not on straight. I did not think before acting.
No need to explain. I feel for you. I been there done that. I'm sure your not a bad person.

I would call the Clerk Of Courts or Floridas County Prosecutor for the County she resides and ask them. Or visit here, as I am now to review laws of Florida concerning acts such as this.

Statutes & Constitution :Search Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #5

Here ya go:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

784.048 1 d is what you need to be concerned about.... "Cyberstalk"

Last edited by tswift; Oct 13th, 2008 at 12:34 AM.

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #6
Unregistered

Thumbs Up Re: Posting Someones personal info on the web

Thanks. I checked the Internet Fraud Complaint Center website and couldn't find anything there.

I am not a bad person and have NEVER even thought of doing anything like this before (nor again)

Thanks so much for your help.

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks. I checked the Internet Fraud Complaint Center website and couldn't find anything there.

I am not a bad person and have NEVER even thought of doing anything like this before (nor again)

NP. GL.

For what its worth, I see the charge for that section is a misdemeanor. If venue is found to be in Florida, they wont go out of state to serve such a warrant. After 2 years it will be dropped if filed b/c of the statue of limitations.

Again check my post above for the relative statue for that offense. (2 up/above from here. Post #5)

Last edited by tswift; Oct 13th, 2008 at 12:49 AM.

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #8
Unregistered

Confused Re: Posting Someones personal info on the web

Quote:

Okay...no idea what I am reading so if you could help me one more time...Which of these would I fall under?

(a) "Harass" means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.

(b) "Course of conduct" means a pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts over a period of time, however short, evidencing a continuity of purpose. Constitutionally protected activity is not included within the meaning of "course of conduct." Such constitutionally protected activity includes picketing or other organized protests.

(c) "Credible threat" means a threat made with the intent to cause the person who is the target of the threat to reasonably fear for his or her safety. The threat must be against the life of, or a threat to cause bodily injury to, a person.

(d) "Cyberstalk" means to engage in a course of conduct to communicate, or to cause to be communicated, words, images, or language by or through the use of electronic mail or electronic communication, directed at a specific person, causing substantial emotional distress to that person and serving no legitimate purpose.

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #9
Unregistered

Smile Re: Posting Someones personal info on the web

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswift View Post
NP. GL.

For what its worth, I see the charge for that section is a misdemeanor. If venue is found to be in Florida, they wont go out of state to serve such a warrant. After 2 years it will be dropped if filed b/c of the statue of limitations.

Again check my post above for the relative statue for that offense. (2 up/above from here. Post #5)
OMY.....You are awesome....I was so worried....You are my angel

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2226 times