How can I drop charges? (Simple Assault, Harassment, Disorderly Conduct)

This is a discussion on How can I drop charges? (Simple Assault, Harassment, Disorderly Conduct) within the Other Criminal Law Matters forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; My husband and I were drinking one night and we started arguing. He went to go get another beer and ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #1
liza

Unhappy How can I drop charges? (Simple Assault, Harassment, Disorderly Conduct)

My husband and I were drinking one night and we started arguing. He went to go get another beer and I heard him take the car keys off the counter he went back outside amd started talking to his brother. I went in to see if he did take the keys and check to see if the kids were still sleeping. I heard him talking about how he can't wait to get some bullets. I went back outside and told him to give me the keys because I didn't want him to drive off while he was drunk. His brother and his wife left I tried to get the keys out of his pocket and he pushed me this happened a few times the last time he pushed me down he got on top of me and tried to hold me down by putting his arm around me to try to calm me down. I thought he was trying to choke me but he wasn't.the whole time he was keeping the keys from me because he thought I was trying to drive off. the police got called and they arrested him I didn't want to press charges and have him arrested but they did it any how. He's being charged with Simple Assault, Harassment, Disorderly Conduct, and Terroristic Threats. What can I do to get the charges dropped. This is the first time in the ten years we've been together that this has happened.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Top Level Member
randalljd's Flag is: United States

Default re: How can I drop charges? (Simple Assault, Harassment, Disorderly Conduct)

Try speaking to the DA, or World Law or other lawyers could do so for you. They have the right to continue to pursue the case on their own (even if you don't want them to) but if they feel this was a one-time incident and will never happen again--they may drop it. They want to make sure no abuse is continuing if and when you two are back together.
randalljd is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Unregistered

Question re: How can I drop charges? (Simple Assault, Harassment, Disorderly Conduct)

i had a argument with my bf of 2 yrs and he is not abusive at all but he did grabb me realy hard to get me to calm down and he held me back by putting his hands on my neck but since i was so upset a week later i decided to call the poilce and then i was told i had to file assult and they charged him with domestic violence and i wish i had never done any of this because he doesnt deserve it and i was told so many times by commisioners office that its nothing i can do and that i cant drop the charges but i cant take him to court because he was trying to calm me down but he did slap me once in my face.they have no pictures of my bruise and i want the charges dropped wat can i do before the 1st hearing?...he is in skool to b a lawyer and i dnt want him to have to miss school for this dumb court stuff that i was wrong for doing in the first place. i was told my a family friend who is a lawyer i can go to the court house and wen they see that i am ok and i have to fill a paper out they will drop it but i dont know what the paper is called and i cant sleep or anything and he doesnt deserve this...WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Unregistered

Confused Disorderly Conduct

My boyfriend and I were at the bar last night when my boyfriend got into an altercation with the bouncer, the bouncer started to push us both out but then stopped my boyfriend when he saw that he still had his drink. The bouncer told him to put his drink down, but he didn't so the bouncer asked him again and my boyfriend threw his drink behind him. I know my boyfriend and I were then yelling at the bouncer inside the bar, the bouncer then threw me down on the cement and two other bouncers picked up my boyfriend and threw him out too. I got back up and went to hit the bouncer, I was yelling at him saying that he could not treat girls like that. The bouncer closed the door when I was yelling and then I got arrested. My boyfriend was arrested too. I was being cooperative for the most part with the cops and just crying, my boyfriend kept yelling at them though. We were placed in two separate holding cells for 6 hours, when we got out we both had the same charge, a disorderly conduct. I really would like to get this dropped, I had 3 summary offenses against me back in January, and I really don't feel what I did was that wrong. I have bruises all over my body from when the bouncer threw me to the ground. I'm wondering how well my case is looking for dropping my disorderly conduct charge.

Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:56 AM   #5
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: How can I drop charges? (Simple Assault, Harassment, Disorderly Conduct)

"Disorderly conduct" charges seem appropriate under the circumstances [last post]. Both will have to learn to control their tempers -- do what a bouncer says, not try to hit a bouncer or anyone else, yell at the police, etc. Grow up! is my suggestion. Or quit drinking if it brings out aggression and just plain obnoxious behavior.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Unregistered

Default Re: Disorderly Conduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My boyfriend and I were at the bar last night when my boyfriend got into an altercation with the bouncer, the bouncer started to push us both out but then stopped my boyfriend when he saw that he still had his drink. The bouncer told him to put his drink down, but he didn't so the bouncer asked him again and my boyfriend threw his drink behind him. I know my boyfriend and I were then yelling at the bouncer inside the bar, the bouncer then threw me down on the cement and two other bouncers picked up my boyfriend and threw him out too. I got back up and went to hit the bouncer, I was yelling at him saying that he could not treat girls like that. The bouncer closed the door when I was yelling and then I got arrested. My boyfriend was arrested too. I was being cooperative for the most part with the cops and just crying, my boyfriend kept yelling at them though. We were placed in two separate holding cells for 6 hours, when we got out we both had the same charge, a disorderly conduct. I really would like to get this dropped, I had 3 summary offenses against me back in January, and I really don't feel what I did was that wrong. I have bruises all over my body from when the bouncer threw me to the ground. I'm wondering how well my case is looking for dropping my disorderly conduct charge.
Take a step back and really think about yours and your boyfriend's actions and behavior for the night. Had you both not been drunk and disorderly, none of this would have happened.

The bouncer was doing his job. Your behavior was unbecoming for a "girl" so it's unclear why you believe the bouncer was in the wrong "treating girls like that". You admit you went to hit him. Girls who hit better expect to get hit back.

It's doubtful the charges against you both will be dropped. It's best to hire an attorney however. One never knows. A good attorney may get the charges reduced.

I agree that the charges are more than appropriate considering the circumstances.

Old Oct 7th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: Disorderly Conduct

Quote:
There are a few things wrong with this. You obviously were being disorderly. your bf should know when to quit being a ******* and not throw his beer in a bar (which didn't hit someone-you'd be in bigger trouble) and he should've walked out. NOW...the bouncer did have a right to throw you out of the club/bar, but did NOT have a right to throw you and leave bruises. you need to TAKE PICTURES. GO TO THE HOSPITAL and create a papertrail for yourself. make sure there are no sustainable injuries. Then, if you really want to push the issue, the only thing you can really do is try to sue the bar, or the bouncer himself for unnecessary force. He shouldn't have used so much force with you, but next time you and your boyfriend should learn your lesson and know your limits.

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Unregistered

Confused Re: How can I drop charges? (Simple Assault, Harassment, Disorderly Conduct)

My boyfriend has an unflattering past and last night he was arrested for domestic violence and threats - 2 felonies. The DV was just a punch in the arm and it left a bruise, and it was the first time he's hit me. He is mentally ill and I told dispatcher and on-site police that several times. I don't want to press charges, I just want him to get the help he needs and deserves. What should I do?

Old Apr 30th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Unregistered

My boyfrien of 2 years was arrested and charged with harrasment against me. Someone called the police while watching what was going on between us at a parking lot. He has hurt me physically mentally and emotionaly. I love him and i want him out of jail. All i want is for him to stay away from me, but not have to be in jail. How can i drop the charges and get him out?

Old Apr 30th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #10
Unregistered

Default Re: How can I drop charges? (Simple Assault, Harassment, Disorderly Conduct)

Quote:
My boyfrien of 2 years was arrested and charged with harrasment against me. Someone called the police while watching what was going on between us at a parking lot. He has hurt me physically mentally and emotionaly. I love him and i want him out of jail. All i want is for him to stay away from me, but not have to be in jail. How can i drop the charges and get him out?
You have to ask yourself a hard question. Why would you want someone who has abused you mentally, physically and emotionally to not have to pay the consequences for such atrocious actions?

You can't drop the charges and "get him out". It's bizarre you'd want him out. He's where he belongs.

Once the D.A. takes a case and presses charges, the "victim" has no say in the final outcome.

Have you considered counseling to get to the root cause of why you allow men to mistreat you and why you don't wish for some justice against such acts?

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 13805 times