I found a check made out to cash

This is a discussion on I found a check made out to cash within the Credit Cards, Banking, Securities forum, part of the Other Business & Finance Law Issues category; New York If i find a check made out to cash, can i legally cash it?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default I found a check made out to cash

New York

If i find a check made out to cash, can i legally cash it?
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: I found a check made out to cash

No you cannot, the person did not authorize you to cash it therefore its illegal and considered bank fraud.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
New York

If i find a check made out to cash, can i legally cash it?
Just Like Cash

A check payable to cash is just like cash - anybody can use it. If the check gets lost, whoever finds it can get the money unless you stop payment on the check first. Likewise, the recipient can pass the check on to somebody else.

Old May 11th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Unregistered

Lost cash is not your to keep.

Old Feb 26th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Unregistered

Ok so you put out signs all over town that say "Lost cash please claim if it's yours" And then what happens?
You get EVERYONE claiming it's theirs so that makes EVERYONE a theif...
I say if you find cash it's YOUR lucky day because there is no real way to ensure it gets back to the owner unless you know who the owner is.
Quit trying to make it sound like people are such terrible beings if they happen to find something that is next to impossible to return.
Get a life

Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Unregistered

Cool Re: I found a check made out to cash

Typically checks have an address and name on the top. Best thing to do is try to contact them that way... or if you know whose bank it is..give them the digits on the bottom and they can track the owner. They can contact them and you have a better chance of getting a reward for returning it than you do of getting away with bank fraud.

Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

No. If it was not given to you by the person who drew it, you have no right to the money. Banks have lots of surveillance cameras as well as check cashing places. If you cash it, it is only a matter of time before men in blue are at your door.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just Like Cash

A check payable to cash is just like cash - anybody can use it. If the check gets lost, whoever finds it can get the money unless you stop payment on the check first. Likewise, the recipient can pass the check on to somebody else.
I hope nobody takes this advice seriously.

Check made out to cash specifically indicate the the owner of the checking account is the recipient of the money.

The account owner is the only person who can cash such a check.

Please ignore the irresponsible "advice" quoted above. It is patently and dangerously incorrect.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Unregistered

Pay to Cash – Checks – Pay to the Order of Cash.
Just like cash

Old Jun 26th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Unregistered

Some of you are pretty funny... There is such a thing as "the law"...

UCC Section 3-109: Checks may be payable to Bearer or to Order. The way a check is made payable will affect who must negotiate/indorse it. If it is made payable to bearer, that means the holder of the item can negotiate it (e.g., cash it or deposit it.) Examples of items payable to bearer include items on which the payee line is blank, items that are made payable to cash, items that say they are payable to "bearer", or items that do not indicate they are payable to an identified person. ...

Means that if the "Pay To The Order Of" line is blank, says "bearer" or "cash" then whoever brings it into the bank can cash it or deposit it. Does not mean it's right to do it if you find such a check, but there is very little someone can do to the person who does cash it or deposit it. The law will actually protect the person who cashes it and will protect the bank it's drawn on. Just don't loose one of these types of checks...

Bookmark & Share

Tags
new york

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 11424 times