WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > BUSINESS & FINANCE LAW > Consumer Complaints > Car Sales Complaint - The car was sold for more than it is worth brand new

Car Sales Complaint - The car was sold for more than it is worth brand new

This is a discussion on Car Sales Complaint - The car was sold for more than it is worth brand new within the Consumer Complaints forum, part of the BUSINESS & FINANCE LAW category; I was wondering if it is legal to sell a car to a customer for the new manufacture price when ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Unregistered

Exclamation Car Sales Complaint - The car was sold for more than it is worth brand new

I was wondering if it is legal to sell a car to a customer for the new manufacture price when the car is used for four years? An example being The car was sold to customer at price of $20,760.12 with things wrong with it.

Example of things wrong with it are tear in seat, scratches on plastic window and front window, no parts inside the air vents and they do not move to adjust where you want them in the car and also missing center lock and scratches on the paint on the door. The cars origional price brand new is $20,280.00. Which states the car was sold for more than it is worth brand new. Would that be a legal case? Can you please explain.
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Car Sales Complaint - The car was sold for more than it is worth brand new

It is not illegal, but why would any purchaser not do at least basic research on the prices?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default re: Car Sales Complaint - The car was sold for more than it is worth brand new

Because why would someone sell a car to someone for more than its worth. The world is getting less and less honest I guess.

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Unregistered

The seller could have asked for $50,000 for the car for that matter.... but it is still the buyer's responsibility to figure out what the item is worth and make the offer IF they want the car.

IMO, when looking to purchase an item, car or whatever, only offer what you believe is fair (or not fair for that matter). It then becomes the seller's responsibility whether to accept the offer or not. Otherwise, walk away and find another seller or merchant.

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #5

I am confused by the question in the first place. If you have something for sale, you place a value on it...it's your opinion, or it's what you know the market will bear. That said, a number tied to what someone "thinks" something is worth is still only a number and does not reflect the car's value.
For someone to ask any price means nothing until a transaction occurs. A car is only "worth" what someone else is willing to pay for it. That is the true market value of the vehicle.
I was in the car business for ten years and this is the oldest adage in the business--that a value can only be established by what someone else is willing to pay for it.
You ALWAYS have the right to walk away from any deal--after all, you are the buyer and have the power, (cash) to go ahead or not.
The biggest challenge for most people when they buy cars is that they get emotionally involved--one should always be prepared to walk from any deal.
Lastly, remember this--a 'deal' is a state of mind. Keep negotiating down, down, down until they've said the same thing three times at least.
spineguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Unregistered

I financed a new car with my wife as a cosigner, took possession of said vehicle and within one week the dealer repossessed the vehicle on the grounds that my cosigner wife had a suspended drivers license. AT WHICH POINT i was ASSURED THAT MY CHECK HAD BEEN DESTROYED. Two weeks later I receive a call from the dealer who states that they had paid the sales tax and registration. By this time I had bought registered, insured and paid taxes on another used vehicle for cash which died and was "junked". I got a third car and was refused registration as the first check had "bounced" (the NEW car) and I am now responsible for $1500.00 to register any car which has cost me jobs (money) suffering (four children) and contributed to separation (wife). Previous counsel was unable/unwilling to persue having been "stonewalled" by the dealer for documents/dates 2 1/2 years ago. Please help.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2237 times