WORLD Law Direct Forums

WORLD Law Direct Forums (http://www.worldlawdirect.com/forum/)
-   Consumer Complaints (http://www.worldlawdirect.com/forum/consumer-complaints/)
-   -   Can I sue my dentist? 17 with mouth pains (http://www.worldlawdirect.com/forum/consumer-complaints/71293-can-i-sue-my-dentist-17-mouth-pains.html)

CorrineJoyann May 2nd, 2013 02:45 PM

Can I sue my dentist? 17 with mouth pains

I was wondering if I could sue my former dentist.
I had all four wisdom teeth removed over Spring break of 2013.
During the operation, my former dentist was rough with me, and when I was crying out in pain, he told me to hush, and that I'd scare the little girl getting her teeth looked at in the next room. My mom and my boyfriend came a long with me, and my mother left to go go get her phone from the car, leaving my boyfriend in the room with me, but when she tried to come back in (during the pain and when the doctor told me to be quiet) they tld her that she was the one making OT a distraction, they were hurting me!
I go home after the operation, with loratab and ibuprofen. My mother noticed on the pamphlet they gave us that I was suppose to receive antibiotics. I developed a strong pain on my left side, where the extraction sight was, so we visited the dentist again, and asked them about the antibiotics I was suppose to receive, and they said "Oh, it's not required but here is a prescription." And they sprayed my extraction sight with water and sent me home, saying that nothing was wrong. My parents looked on many websites, and it says I was suppose to start immediately taking my antibiotics IMMEDIATELY after surgery to prevent infection. Well, I got an infection because the dentist didn't give me my antibiotics after my surgery.
two weeks later, my lock jaw was still giving me problems, and all of my bottom teeth would hurt so bad I would cry, but my dentist told me it was normal. It had gotten to the point where tylenol wouldn't help.
So I rescheduled an appointment with another doctor, and I had dry socket and an infection, they packed my socket and I felt great.

Here I am, two months later, and part of my lip goes numb, I have tooth fragments behind my upper right extraction site, with part of my gum missing. I have a soreness that will partly go away, but I can't bite my top lip, or smile without the gums under my top lip hurt to the point of tears, and the sides of my gums as well, and I cannot chew on my left side due to the fact my back tooth feels like it's going to pop out of my mouth. I never had sensitivity, but now I can't eat anything unless it has little to no temperature. And also, before my operation that gave me 11 unnecessary fillings for "Little holes" in my teeth. My teeth used to be an off white, but now they turn yellow easier, and it bothers me.
Is this worth suing over? The operations costed at least 33,000 dollars, but my insurance covered it. My mouth is no longer normal, and it hurts. I'm seeing y new dentist this friday. Is this worth suing over? Is this malpractice?

AFFA May 2nd, 2013 02:55 PM

Re: Can I sue my dentist? 17 with mouth pains

I wish to inform you that you may serve a written notice to the dental surgeon. If the dental surgeon does not resolve the matter, then you may file a lawsuit for malpractice. You will need to prove your allegations. The opinion of an expert witness will be required in support of your view point. You may claim damages and costs. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF

Disagreeable May 2nd, 2013 03:20 PM

Before running to a lawyer, you need to discuss the issue with the new dentist. It does not appear you have returned to the original dentist, for additional followups. By all means, after talking to a new dentist, if you feel there are issues, consult an attorney. Your parents will need to file for you as you are a minor. After $33k in mouth surgery, one would expect there to be some residual pain for a while.

goddessoflubboc May 2nd, 2013 05:37 PM

Eleven fillings and $33k in dental work points to lack of prior routine dental care. If your recently had a baby and didnt eat properly that might explain the decalcifications.

Seek the advice of another dentist. Don't expect him to tell you doc #1 did this and that wrong - they rarely will. But get an estimate for repairs, and a prognosis. That will help your mom give better info to a possible attorney.

Lexus May 2nd, 2013 11:34 PM

You may have a good reason to consider bringing a lawsuit against your dentist. You feel as though something the dentist has done lead to a more serious dental problem. If you plan to sue your current dentist, switch to a new one and attempt to get any problems your former dentist created fixed. Remember to get a copy of all your dental records first. You need to have a detailed explanation on how your life and health have been permanently affected because of the mistakes that were made. Look for a law firm that specializes in medical malpractice suits. Let them know what has transpired between you and your dentist. If the lawyer feels that you have a case, she will work with you to see what type of monetary damages you should ask for. You may need to go through court proceedings or simply settle with the dentist through arbitration.