WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW > Other Real Estate Law Matters > Condos & Co-Ops > Discrimination complaint between tenant and management company and condo association

Discrimination complaint between tenant and management company and condo association

This is a discussion on Discrimination complaint between tenant and management company and condo association within the Condos & Co-Ops forum, part of the Other Real Estate Law Matters category; I own a condo in Fairfax, Virginia, and my tenant is having a dispute with the management company and condo ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Condo in VA's Flag is: United States

Default Discrimination complaint between tenant and management company and condo association

I own a condo in Fairfax, Virginia, and my tenant is having a dispute with the management company and condo association. The tenant is being accused of running a day care business, but they are not running a business in the condo and have provided proof to the association and management company. I have forwarded the management company's letters and emails, and we (my tenant and I) have responded promptly. My tenant has three children, and sometimes they have friends over to visit -- that's all. The management company insists my tenant has a day care business, and my tenant believes they are being discriminated against (race, religion, national origin and familial status) and filed a complaint with Fairfax County. The management association said I am responsible for all the legal fees they incur as a result of my tenant's complaint. I asked the management company to provide the article and page number for that information in the condo documents, but instead, they told me their communication is only with owners and not tenants. Tenants have no say in the governing rules of the association. I don't understand. I really don't think I should be responsible for the legal fees, since I didn't file the complaint. I have only tried to resolve the issue to everyone's satisfaction. I really don't understand why my tenant is being picked on when they invited everyone to knock on their door unannounced and see for him/herself that there isn't a daycare business in the unit. It's frustrating, but I really cannot incur needless expenses. Can you help me?
Condo in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Discrimination complaint between tenant and management company and condo associat

I wish to inform you that you cannot be held liable for legal fees. You can be held liable for any fees which incur because of your fault and not because of acts of unlawful act of condo association. Attorney fees has been provided under Florida Statutes 718.125 and thus you may not be held liable. Florida Statue 718.124 provides about limitation of action. Further Condo association is under law required to provide you copy of association rules. Any change in Condo Association rules can be done with the consent of members.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Condo in VA's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Discrimination complaint between tenant and management company and condo associat

Thank you for your response. You cite a Florida statute. The condo is located in Virginia. Does the same hold true in Virginia? Thank you for your help!
Condo in VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1788 times