WD Sync software on the WD Passport drive

This is a discussion on WD Sync software on the WD Passport drive within the Class Actions & Defective Products forum, part of the ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE category; When I purchased my Western Digital (WD) drive I was immediately confused by the WD synch software, and angry that ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Unregistered

Thumbs Down WD Sync software on the WD Passport drive

When I purchased my Western Digital (WD) drive I was immediately confused by the WD synch software, and angry that I was wasting hours trying to be sure of its capabilities and function, seeking to learn how to use it safely while trusting I was not going to lose data. I slowly realized that it is powerful software that could easily destroy years of important files. It also can work more or less well, once it is carefully understood and configured and applied properly. Fortunately, I did not lose any data. The automatic synchronize feature should probably be disabled permanently.

I am moved by all your writers who have lost their data due to the negligence of WD and their inexcusable failure to explain clearly and explicitly the risks, appropriate use, and limitations of this software...

http://www.mytechtalk.com/?p=87

This negligence contributed to many users, thinking they were safeguarding their data, to cruelly lose it all. I believe it would be entirely reasonable for those users, as a class, to sue WD, given the depth of unnecessary suffering and loss caused by such negligence. That WD still does not provide clear instructions and warnings for this product is shocking and inexplicable. The company appears recklessly irresponsible, if not incompetent.

Given the power of this software, WD’s negligence is inexcusable; I for one would be entirely sympathetic to any effort to hold them liable for their customers’ losses.

Last edited by top_admin; Aug 9th, 2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: external link approved
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Default Re: WD Sync software on the WD Passport drive

We have seen a number of complaints about this, which is odd because everybody seemed to love the product before?
olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 03:45 AM   #3
Unregistered

Wink Re: WD Sync software on the WD Passport drive

Hello,

I think that there is a mistake with WDSync. From the WDSync hotline (Dmailer in fact):

"WDSync is a synchronization software. So it is designed to help you to have exactly the same data on your PC as on your Western Digital external hard drive.
This means if you delete some files from your PC, they will automatically be removed from your Western Digital external hard drive as well If your intention is to restore your data to a new PC installation, you must use the ‘Copy to PC’ feature that will copy your data instantly onto a new PC."

They told me that they have a BACKUP software available which is designed to backup data without synchronization and data loss...

bye guys

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Unregistered

It was also very confusing to my staff in Atlanta but thankfully eventually it worked out.

Be very careful!

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Unregistered

My problem was that when using the "copy to pc" the WD Sync would encounter a problem and "needs to shut down"... thus copying only a fraction of the data....

Old Oct 12th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Unregistered

Yikes! Be careful with this or frankly you may even want to avoid.

Old Oct 16th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #7
Unregistered

Smile Re: WD Sync software on the WD Passport drive

I came accross this forum when the same problem happend to me.

But i now understand that this is synchronization software not backup software which works how it is supposed to. Dmailer also offers a backup application.

I contact the dmailer Support team and they managed to recover all of my files i recommend you guys do the same thing!

--liam--

Old Oct 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #8
Unregistered

I purchased a WD external hard drive. I was experiencing problems with my Dell lap top and they had to warranty the hard drive. No problem as I had everything backed up on my WD ext HD. The computer repair was completed and I backed up my data back to the new Dell hard drive. Guess what, The WD Sync software proceeded to erase everything I had. All of my files and pictures were gone! EVERYTHING I HAD WAS GONE!!!!!!!

This company sucks!!!!! They ruined everything!.

When I "sync" my phone to my outlook files, both were updated with matching files. Is this not what Sync is supused to do!

This company sucks!!!!! They ruined everything!.

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Unregistered

Lightbulb Re: WD Sync software on the WD Passport drive

I Have my WD Passport BUT I DONT USE THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED. Just Use it Like a Flash Drive, Go Into My Computer> then WD> and Drag and Drop what you want stored on it. You can even make new folders to organize everything!! I also recommend making the unessisary files and everything else on the drive "Hidden" (google how to hide a folder or file) it will neat things up for u. hope i helped :]

I love my passport.

ps- ALLWAySe backup important data to cds, hrd drives ect.

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #10
Unregistered

Hello and firstly allow me to extend my sympathies. I've worked in IT for over 20 years and, yet, here I am with the same problem. Naturally, I've logged an incident with Western Digital. In the meantime, 'anonymous' wrote:

'I contact the dmailer Support team and they managed to recover all of my files'

May I ask how you managed to recover your files ?

Thanks, Dave

Bookmark & Share

Tags
backup software, disk encryption software, linux, mac os x, sync software, wd drive, windows vista, windows xp

This thread has 61 replies and has been viewed 78685 times