WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > ATTORNEYS, COURTS, LITIGATION > Civil Litigation > Rental agreement: Landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electricity

Rental agreement: Landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electricity

This is a discussion on Rental agreement: Landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electricity within the Civil Litigation forum, part of the ATTORNEYS, COURTS, LITIGATION category; I have a 1 year lease on a rental house it is up in July we just can't afford it ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
amanda1976's Flag is: United States

Default Rental agreement: Landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electricity

I have a 1 year lease on a rental house it is up in July we just can't afford it any longer 600. in rent and another 500 in electricity. The issue is that my landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electricity for his out buildings. He built a new one and that is when a whole lot of trouble stirred up. I asked him to please put another meter up for his buildings and he flat out refused. Then said well little lady I guess we have a problem and I said yes we do- I said I am contacting a lawyer and he said you better have some pretty deep pockets. Then he look at my husband and said yeah she definetly where's the pants in this family.

My question is when we signed the lease or even when we went to look at the place he didn't give full disclosure of us being responisble for our electric and his. Our electric bills have been from 400 to 500 dollars. The first month was 157.00 and at the completion of his new building it jumped almost 400 dollars. My husband has taken pictures of what he has in that building.

What can we do legally to get out of the lease and can we sue him.

Last edited by amanda1976; Mar 4th, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
amanda1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Default re: Rental agreement: Landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electricity

What does your lease say regarding electricity/utilities?
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #3

Default re: Rental agreement: Landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electricity

[I have a 1 year lease on a rental house it is up in July we just can't afford it any longer 600. in rent and another 500 in electricity. The issue is that my landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electricity for his out buildings. He built a new one and that is when a whole lot of trouble stirred up. I asked him to please put another meter up for his buildings and he flat out refused. Then said well little lady I guess we have a problem and I said yes we do- I said I am contacting a lawyer and he said you better have some pretty deep pockets. Then he look at my husband and said yeah she definetly where's the pants in this family.

My question is when we signed the lease or even when we went to look at the place he didn't give full disclosure of us being responisble for our electric and his. Our electric bills have been from 400 to 500 dollars. The first month was 157.00 and at the completion of his new building it jumped almost 400 dollars. My husband has taken pictures of what he has in that building. adfadf

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #4

It states we are responsible for our electricity. But he didn't tell us his farm out building were attached to that our electricity.

Amanda

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1976 View Post
I have a 1 year lease on a rental house it is up in July we just can't afford it any longer 600. in rent and another 500 in electricity. The issue is that my landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electricity for his out buildings. He built a new one and that is when a whole lot of trouble stirred up. I asked him to please put another meter up for his buildings and he flat out refused. Then said well little lady I guess we have a problem and I said yes we do- I said I am contacting a lawyer and he said you better have some pretty deep pockets. Then he look at my husband and said yeah she definetly where's the pants in this family.

My question is when we signed the lease or even when we went to look at the place he didn't give full disclosure of us being responisble for our electric and his. Our electric bills have been from 400 to 500 dollars. The first month was 157.00 and at the completion of his new building it jumped almost 400 dollars. My husband has taken pictures of what he has in that building.

What can we do legally to get out of the lease and can we sue him.
When one rents a dwelling, they are responsible for utilities that serve the dwelling and not any outbuildings the landlord puts up and uses.

Your electric company has a record of usage by the property going back several years, so it should not be difficult to prove how much extra wattage the landlord's additions have run up. And the cost for the additional electricity.

Since you have an unscrupulous and obstreperous, unreasonable, exploitive landlord, he will only respect the demands of a lawyer and/or judge. So it behooves you to gether up the usage information, the documentation you have of the new outbuilding(s) (and permit, if he got one), and get the aid of a real estate attorney to make the demand on him for restitution.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #6

Thank you- what if I can not afford an attorney, what should I do?

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Top Level Member

Default Re: Rental agreement: Landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1976 View Post
Thank you- what if I can not afford an attorney, what should I do?
A consultation will cost you far less than paying another month's electric bill. You will be stuck with the bills from the utility company unless you get him to pay them and out from under. That ruin can ruin your credit with the utility company and any other one you intend to establish an account with if you do not pay the bills.

Get your information, your proofs together, of the electric history. You may have to sue him for the overages he added to your account and you will need that proof in order to prevail.

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Top Level Member

Default Re: Rental agreement: Landlord never told us that we would be paying for his electric

Lets try this again. What exactly, WORD FOR WORD, does your lease say about utilities/electricity?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Top Level Member

Paying another's utilities has to be spelled out in a rental agreement -- and I doubt that ANY rental agreement calls for paying utilities of another. Especially the landlord. On a building yet to be put up!

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend In Court View Post
Paying another's utilities has to be spelled out in a rental agreement -- and I doubt that ANY rental agreement calls for paying utilities of another. Especially the landlord. On a building yet to be put up!
What you doubt and the actual language a landlord planning on obligating his tenant to paying for the electricity would put into the wording, are not necessarily the same thing. Before making any recommendations we need to determine what contractual rights OP has.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 804 times