WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > ATTORNEYS, COURTS, LITIGATION > Civil Litigation > Am I legally responsible for my spouses medical bills - Oklahoma

Am I legally responsible for my spouses medical bills - Oklahoma

This is a discussion on Am I legally responsible for my spouses medical bills - Oklahoma within the Civil Litigation forum, part of the ATTORNEYS, COURTS, LITIGATION category; My wife has recently incurred significant medical bills as a result of a heart condition. My insurance has covered 80% ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #1
jrhayes0801's Flag is: United States

Default Am I legally responsible for my spouses medical bills - Oklahoma

My wife has recently incurred significant medical bills as a result of a heart condition. My insurance has covered 80% of the costs. Can I be held legally responsible for the remaining balance even if I did not sign a form stating I would be at the hospital. Would are trying to work out a payment plan with the hospital and just would like to know legally what I'm required to do. We live in the state of Oklahoma.
jrhayes0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Am I legally responsible for my spouses medical bills - Oklahoma

I wish to inform you that if you yourself do not undertake then you ma not be personally liable. In this your wife assets can be held liable but your personal assets may not be held liable. The debt belongs to your wife and thus you cannot be held liable. As Oklahoma is not a community property state thus you should not be personally liable.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhayes0801 View Post
My wife has recently incurred significant medical bills as a result of a heart condition. My insurance has covered 80% of the costs. Can I be held legally responsible for the remaining balance even if I did not sign a form stating I would be at the hospital. Would are trying to work out a payment plan with the hospital and just would like to know legally what I'm required to do. We live in the state of Oklahoma.

Yes, the community can be held liable for the debts of the other party contracted during the term of the marriage.

What you can do is approach the hospital to see if they will work with you on reduction of the balance. Most hospitals will either reduce the amount owed or work out an acceptable payment plan -- or both. But do contact them right away on the bill so they do not send it to collection for ignoring them.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 24th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Banned User
katerogers's Flag is: United States

Well, do you know how much money you may need if a loved one has a health care emergency and needs to cover it right away? It can cost thousands of dollars, and paying in advance for things is sometimes unavoidable. You could get a personal loan to help; the sick or injured loved one will really appreciate that you have helped them out. For instance, the cost of medical procedures can cost more than a person can bear.
katerogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1883 times