How do I find out who legally has custody of my kids?

This is a discussion on How do I find out who legally has custody of my kids? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; How do I find out who legally has custody of my kids? I was young when I they were born ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #1

Confused How do I find out who legally has custody of my kids?

How do I find out who legally has custody of my kids? I was young when I they were born and it has been about 7 years. I reside in Washington state and they live in Alaska. I have been told they live with their grandparents and have since they were little for some time now. But their mom lives in another city other than they do up in alaska. When I was young their grandparents decided they did not like me. But how do I find out who legally has custody of my kids, where are they?

Last edited by tvgilmore; Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.
tvgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: How do I find out who legally has custody of my kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgilmore View Post
How do I find out who legally has custody of my kids? I was young when I they were born and it has been about 7 years. I reside in Washington state and they live in Alaska. I have been told they live with their grandparents and have since they were little for some time now. But their mom lives in another city other than they do up in alaska. When I was young their grandparents decided they did not like me. But how do I find out who legally has custody of my kids, where are they?
Try looking into court records in all states/cities where everyone has lived.

IF there was ever any legal custody or guardianship granted by court order, it will be available as a pubic record.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #3

Well I just found out via my sister that my son's grandparents have full custody of both my boys and that they have since the boys were little. That their mom took off on some drug binge and left them. How do I validate this claim? That is how do I look up in public court records to see if they do have full legal custody of my boys and for how long they have had it? I have been paying child support for years now! If she is not even the legal gaurdian of my boys how can she claim them and get money for it? It sounds to me that she has been lying to get money for her drugs again. My sister lives in the same town they do and says that the grandparents have been taking care of them since they were little and that they have full custody.
tvgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Unregistered

The local court should have that order; ask the clerk to do a search. A modest fee may be involved or a local lawyer could do it.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4227 times