in contempt? (medical insurance)

This is a discussion on in contempt? (medical insurance) within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Originally Posted by krui I am not sure what you mean by court order, but I we had a conference ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #11
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default Re: in contempt? (medical insurance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krui View Post
I am not sure what you mean by court order, but I we had a conference hearing. The conference hearing, it went over the stipulations of parenting time. I guess a lot of things were brought up, but the Judge ruled on child going to the other state. How the costs of tickets would be divided. We are to work out which days and when. Then child support was brought up, but father refuses child support costs, so the Judge is giving him until February to find an alternative. But the Judge told me that he would allow medical emergency, the $1200/month is too much of a burden, unless the child is sickly. I went on medical emergency right after, after discussing with father if he could make extra payments on his missed payments of child support that was already in place, in order for me to continue with my employer's medical plan through the month of December. Father refused saying that, as of now, medical is my responsibility. I am fulfilling my responsibility and the medical for the state the child resides in is covered, just not the state that he is visiting.
Hold up. If you have current coverage for your child, that SHOULD provide coverage for the child regardless of whether they are in-state or out-of-state.

Is your current coverage state-funded coverage (i.e. Medicaid)? What do you mean by "medical emergency" if not state-funded Medicaid coverage?

If you have state-funded Medicaid coverage that includes your child, YOU DO NOT NEED A SEPARATE POLICY FOR THE VACATION PERIOD. Your own state-funded policy provides coverage for the child while visiting out-of-state in the event of a medical emergency. Yes, Medicaid is specific to the state you live in (because your state pays for it), but it DOES provide EMERGENCY coverage in the event that the child requires immediate medical attention when traveling out of state, either because it would not be possible to return to the home state, or for a life-threatening condition.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #12
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Please answer the other questions.

Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."
Disagreeable is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #13
krui's Flag is: United States

My son had medical coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield. I couldn't pay the cost and I pay for the airline tickets and still keep myself and my son afloat. When I didn't have to pay for the airline tickets, I was barely making ends meet. I attempted obamacare but was decline. I attempted to get medicaid, but my gross income is too high. At this time, my son does not have medical insurance. MN has good medical coverage for uninsured children. It isn't under medicaid. When he is sick, I can only take him to the ER. At the ER, they have an emergency form that is filled out. I fill it out, and then they look at my income and ability to pay and charge me as based on my ability to pay. When it's regular doctor's visit, I need to pay out of pocket 100%. According to the father, he will be able to attain medical coverage in February (what he told the court). So as of right now, my son will be without medical insurance for dec. and january.
krui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #14

The father has already told me that he will not help with uninsured costs for the month of dec and january, bt I really dont know what other alternatives I have. I feel that I have paid all medical insurance costs and uninsured costs for the past, I can continue to do it. At least, now I have an extra 2400$ for the two months to use in case of medical emergencies.

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #15

The blue cross blue shield is good, but even with insurance, uninsured costs is still high. When I took my son in for his yearly check up, I still ended up having to pay 200$. When he had an asthma attack, I still had to pay 600$ out of my pocket for uninsured costs ... all this in addition to the 1200$/month. I sent the bills to the father, but he doesn't respond. We keep going to court, but the Judge doesn't seem to ask about these questions.

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #16

I am covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield though, as my medical insurance is free. Unfortunately, for my son it is 1200$/month by my employer.

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #17

I'm sorry for not being clear.. I get so emotional.

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #18
Top Level Member

Is your yearly income above $42k? Does your child have any health issues/disabilities?

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #19
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disagreeable View Post
Is your yearly income above $42k? Does your child have any health issues/disabilities?
Apparently, the child has asthma.

This is a difficult one. If YOU don't have medical insurance for the child, it stands to reason that you cannot force the father to obtain medical insurance for the vacation, either. In addition, there is the distinct possibility that the child will NOT experience a severe medical issue while out of state on the visit.

It sounds like the court is leaning towards some way to have the father share in those medical expenses. Dad has been given two months to come up with a plan to help provide insurance coverage for the child. That also tells me that the judge would make Dad help pay for any extraordinary medical costs that might be incurred until such time as the insurance can be provided for the child. In the event that the child becomes ill and requires emergency medical intervention while on holiday with Dad, you can (and should) request that the court order the father to pay at least 1/2 of those medical bills. I'm sure that you probably have another hearing or status update in a couple of months, so that would be the time to present your request for him to share those costs if they are incurred.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #20
Top Level Member

If her income is under $42k it appears the child qualifies for state insurance.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 565 times