WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > if there is not a custody order between my ex boyfriend, can i move to another state?

if there is not a custody order between my ex boyfriend, can i move to another state?

This is a discussion on if there is not a custody order between my ex boyfriend, can i move to another state? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; if there is not a custody order between my ex boyfriend and i, can i move to another state without ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused if there is not a custody order between my ex boyfriend, can i move to another state?

if there is not a custody order between my ex boyfriend and i, can i move to another state without his permission.

i live in new york and i want to move to tennessee. can i take my son without his consent and not be in any trouble.

i dont want support or anything. just for me to move with my son

any help or advice would be great
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: if there is not a custody order between my ex boyfriend, can i move to another state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
if there is not a custody order between my ex boyfriend and i, can i move to another state without his permission.

i live in new york and i want to move to tennessee. can i take my son without his consent and not be in any trouble.

i dont want support or anything. just for me to move with my son

any help or advice would be great
If there are no court orders at all, not even for CS, you have the legal right to move. However, at the same time your son's father also has the right to file in court to either prevent you from moving his son, or a court order for you to return his son. It will take 6 months to establish legal residency in TN, during that time if the father files in a NY court, NY will have jurisdiction and can order you to return your son to NY.

The best way to move is to file in NY to establish custody/CS, etc and get the court's permission to move.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 1499 times