Child support arrears and prison

This is a discussion on Child support arrears and prison within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Here's my question/scenario if you can help: My boyfriend is in Michigan and is over $6,000 in arrears in child ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 05:13 PM   #1
christina589's Flag is: United States

Default Child support arrears and prison

Here's my question/scenario if you can help: My boyfriend is in Michigan and is over $6,000 in arrears in child support. He has been unemployed for a year, and now he has been called into mediation in Macomb. If he pays a small ($500 or so) amount, is that better than nothing? And how likely is it that they will arrest him on thethe spot for being over $2,500 in arrears?
christina589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Child support arrears and prison

I wish to inform you that your boy friend may make an arrangement for payment of the child support arrears with the mother of the child and a consent order can be filed in the court. If an arrangement cannot be worked out then your boy friend may file a petition with the court clearly bringing out all the facts in support of his view point. He can inform the court that he has been unemployed for almost a year, therefore, there are arrears in the child support payment. He may request the court for payment plan to pay the arrears. The court will always keep in view the best interests of the child. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina589 View Post
Here's my question/scenario if you can help: My boyfriend is in Michigan and is over $6,000 in arrears in child support. He has been unemployed for a year, and now he has been called into mediation in Macomb. If he pays a small ($500 or so) amount, is that better than nothing? And how likely is it that they will arrest him on thethe spot for being over $2,500 in arrears?
It's not necessarily that he is in arrears, or even the amount that's going to be the deciding factor. It's about what efforts he has made to address his unemployment, and what efforts he has made to make even a token payment or two towards that arrears over the past year of unemployment.

A child deserves to be supported by BOTH parents to the best of their ability. If he isn't making reasonable efforts to seek employment or supplement his income, then that will be a big black mark against him in any mediation over resolution of those arrears. Perhaps it's time for him to start liquidating any assets he has in order to make a more significant contribution towards reducing those arrears.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Bringing a $500 attempt is a good start. He should also bring a list of significant assets and job contacts he has made over the past year. The goal of the court is not to ruin his life, it is to compel payment for the childs benefit.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 4th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #5
Top Level Member

Even if your boyfriend makes the partial payment he is still a convict if an arrest warrant was already issued in his name.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 4th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Even if your boyfriend makes the partial payment he is still a convict if an arrest warrant was already issued in his name.
No true. Convict means convicted. You cannot be convicted until you appear before the court and exercise the judicial process.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 4th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
If he has been called in to mediation, arrest is not on the agenda -- but working something out over the arears. Already you state that they are willing to settle for a token amount being paid, the $500.

There is a discrepancy in what you report as arrears; "$6,000", "$2500." Which is it?

If he has been unemployed for a year, he can move to have support modified, reduced, to reflect his situation. That should help arrears continuing to pile up.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member
grim509's Flag is: United States

It all depends on why he is unemployed. If he lost his job due to layoff or factors outside of his control, he should be filing a petition for modification to lower payments.

Even if he quit his job, if he shows he is willing to do what he can to make payments, they will likely work with him, as most courts realize he wouldn't be able to make money and pay support if he's in jail.
grim509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 7th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #9
JH Sparacino's Flag is: United States

Quote:
It is never bad to pay support when you owe. I would need to see the Warren County, IL pleadings to see what he is facing. It is unlikely that he will be arrested if he has not missed prior court dates. If he has missed any there may be more than just the pleadings on support out there. There are online services which cover most Illinois counties. Call the Clerk of the Court to see who they use and then you can get a better idea.
JH Sparacino is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 645 times