Signing over paternal rights; I live in Michigan

This is a discussion on Signing over paternal rights; I live in Michigan within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I live in Michigan and recently got a phone call from a girl who I had slept with about 5-6 ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Dmh4192's Flag is: United States

Default Signing over paternal rights; I live in Michigan

I live in Michigan and recently got a phone call from a girl who I had slept with about 5-6 weeks ago. We had a condom break and she had contacted me to inform me that she is pregnant. She said she took 3 tests. 2 were positive and one was a no read. Her and I hardly know each other. I would like to know what options I have as far as signing over the rights of my child, I am in the reserve of the military and I am also being relocated to the southern border for a border patrol agent position. I was not expecting this in the least bit and I feel it would not be fair to bring this child into the world with a mother and father who barely know each other and myself being thousands of miles away at any given time. My concern is not getting out of child support, my concern is really what the hell to do. In general. I am at a total loss. Any advice, whether legal or personal would be appreciated. Thank you.
Dmh4192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Signing over paternal rights; I live in Michigan

I wish to inform you that as you are not married to the mother of the unborn child, you can only sign away paternal rights if you establish paternity of the child after the child is born. Otherwise, you have no rights as a father unless your name is on the birth certificate or paternity has been established by DNA testing. You may discuss the matter with the mother of the unborn child.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Dmh4192's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFFA View Post
I wish to inform you that as you are not married to the mother of the unborn child, you can only sign away paternal rights if you establish paternity of the child after the child is born. Otherwise, you have no rights as a father unless your name is on the birth certificate or paternity has been established by DNA testing. You may discuss the matter with the mother of the unborn child.

AFF
Since I will not be around for the birth of the child my name will obviously not be on the certificate so what can I arrange with her in regards to support and things?
Dmh4192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 11th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Default re: Signing over paternal rights; I live in Michigan

Unless you or courts establish paternity there are no rights to sign off. Keep in mind that if Mom seeks any state aid like food stamps, medical or welfare she will be forced to name Father and state will look to you to repay them for these benefits
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member
messyjessi's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Signing over paternal rights; I live in Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmh4192 View Post
I live in Michigan and recently got a phone call from a girl who I had slept with about 5-6 weeks ago. We had a condom break and she had contacted me to inform me that she is pregnant. She said she took 3 tests. 2 were positive and one was a no read. Her and I hardly know each other. I would like to know what options I have as far as signing over the rights of my child, I am in the reserve of the military and I am also being relocated to the southern border for a border patrol agent position. I was not expecting this in the least bit and I feel it would not be fair to bring this child into the world with a mother and father who barely know each other and myself being thousands of miles away at any given time. My concern is not getting out of child support, my concern is really what the hell to do. In general. I am at a total loss. Any advice, whether legal or personal would be appreciated. Thank you.
you need to establish paternity first before you have any rights, then you cannot sign over your rights unless mom has a husband willing to adopt. think about wether you want to be tied to someone for the next 18 years before you lay down and have unprotected sex with a woman. if you dont want to have children then keep your pants zipped
messyjessi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Signing over paternal rights; I live in Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmh4192 View Post
Another case the pro life people should answer, I guess. That aside, a paternity test performed after the child is born will be definitive if you are the father or not.

If positive, you may sign away your rights to the child -- the right to parent, visit, play any role in the child's life. But if the test proves you are in fact the father, you will not be allowed to evade your duty to support.

You will have to bide your time until the child is born. Then petition for paternity testing through the court.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1934 times