WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > giving up parental rights... will it affect the amount of child support I pay?

giving up parental rights... will it affect the amount of child support I pay?

This is a discussion on giving up parental rights... will it affect the amount of child support I pay? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I am currently living in S.C. and my 2 kids and there mother live in Wy. As far as i ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 03:13 PM   #1
mine's Flag is: United States

Unhappy giving up parental rights... will it affect the amount of child support I pay?

I am currently living in S.C. and my 2 kids and there mother live in Wy. As far as i know, I have not seen the kids (ever) and was wondering about giving up my parental rights. If I do this will it affect the amount of child support I pay?
mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: giving up parental rights... will it affect the amount of child support I pay?

I wish to inform you that if you terminate your parental rights then it may affect child support but it is not necessary that child support ill be terminated. South Carolina does not restrict demanding child support from parent of child after termination of parental rights. Child support comes under parental duty and thus can be claimed if parental rights are terminated.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

Default re: giving up parental rights... will it affect the amount of child support I pay?

You cannot "give up" your parental rights. Do you have court-ordered visitation? If not why not?

Parental rights can only be terminated by a judge and there is NO WAY any judge will make children fatherless just bc you either couldn't bother to get an order for parenting time or have never taken advantage of.
goddessoflubboc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: giving up parental rights... will it affect the amount of child support I pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mine View Post
I am currently living in S.C. and my 2 kids and there mother live in Wy. As far as i know, I have not seen the kids (ever) and was wondering about giving up my parental rights. If I do this will it affect the amount of child support I pay?

You can give up your parental "rights" -- the right to parent or co parent your children, give input and guidance, see the children, visit with them and have them visit you -- these are 'rights'.

But your obligation to support your children you cannot escape, just because you have not taken the time and effort to see them.

If you were not married to the mother, no paternity action filed, no support order in effect, then you have no concern unless and until a paternity action is filed.

But the amount of support is based upon the parents income and the expenses of the children. Each state has support guidelines from which support can be calculated, exclusive of special needs of a particular child.

Rights are one thing. But one cannot just walk away from their obligation to children they brought into this world.
Friend In Court is online now   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4180 times