WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Confused... I gave temporary guardianship to my mother inlaw in Georgia

Confused... I gave temporary guardianship to my mother inlaw in Georgia

This is a discussion on Confused... I gave temporary guardianship to my mother inlaw in Georgia within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I gave my mother inlaw temporary guardianship now she doesn't want to give my kids back what do I do?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #1
mamasbabies's Flag is: United States

Default Confused... I gave temporary guardianship to my mother inlaw in Georgia

I gave my mother inlaw temporary guardianship now she doesn't want to give my kids back what do I do?
mamasbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Confused... I gave temporary guardianship to my mother inlaw in Georgia

I wish to inform you that if temporary guardianship was given then you can cancel your temporary guardianship and have child custody. You may inform in writing that now you cancel your temporary guardianship and thus child should be allowed to come back to you. Further if your mother in law refuses then you may take assistance of law enforcement agencies or you can have a court order. If temporary custody was given through court order then you will require modification of court order.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #3

Default re: Confused... I gave temporary guardianship to my mother inlaw in Georgia

Do i have to take her to court or can i just go get my kids?

Old May 20th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #4
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasbabies View Post
Do i have to take her to court or can i just go get my kids?
If the guardianship was given to her through the courts, you will have to go back through the courts to revoke it.

Why did you sign over temporary guardianship in the first place? And why do you think you are now ready to take your kids back?
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #5

Default Re: Confused... I gave temporary guardianship to my mother inlaw in Georgia

Because i thought it was what was best for my children. Now I am finding that my kids are better off with me and not there. I never wanted to do it to begin with.

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Confused... I gave temporary guardianship to my mother inlaw in Georgia

If the guardianship was issues through courts and the time frame has not expired on temp order yes you must use court system to get them back. If not then you can merely take them. Whatever you decide I would suggest you at least talk with a lawyer first so you know all your legal rights in this matter. many Attorneys offer free intial consultations this is where you can get that info
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasbabies View Post
I gave my mother inlaw temporary guardianship now she doesn't want to give my kids back what do I do?
First, revoke the guardianship in writing. Once you have done that, you can (1) You can pick up your children with the police in tow, or (2) go to court and get a court order for her to return the children to you.

Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #8
dlolley88's Flag is: United States

My Husband has temporary guardianship of his son who is 6 now and the BM and GM are always hollering Revoke when they don't get there way, so I got tired of it and got legal advise on how the Revoke works,

The BM can Revoke the temporary guardianship but the guardian dose not have to sign those Revoke papers there for the BM will have to take legal action and take us to court.

When you give temporary guardianship of a child who is not 18 it stays in effect till the child is 18 or if there is a end date, and or Revoked by the Bio Parents or the court if the child is not being taking care of.

The Guardian can refuse to sign those revoke papers and when that happens you have to have money for the lawyers and all that good stuff to take the person who has temporary guardianship to court then you have to prove that you are capable of taking care of your child and taking it to court don't always mean you will win your case.
dlolley88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend In Court View Post
First, revoke the guardianship in writing. Once you have done that, you can (1) You can pick up your children with the police in tow, or (2) go to court and get a court order for her to return the children to you.

You can revoke the guardianship through court but the guardian can refuse to sign and when that happens you have to get a court order and take the guardian to court. Its not as easy as it sounds sorry.

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #10

29-2-8 - Termination of temporary guardianship; petition for termination of guardianship :: 2010 Georgia Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 9765 times