WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support?

If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support?

This is a discussion on If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support. I am currently paying support ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support?

If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support. I am currently paying support to my ex-wife whom has remarried and we have a 14 year old daughter whom I rarely get to spend time with. How do I start the process of giving up my rights as her parent for all purposes and support.
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #2
Unregistered

Confused re: If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support. I am currently paying support to my ex-wife whom has remarried and we have a 14 year old daughter whom I rarely get to spend time with. How do I start the process of giving up my rights as her parent for all purposes and support.
Why would you want to? Get to know your daughter - be a part of her life.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default re: If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support?

Quote:
Why would you want to? Get to know your daughter - be a part of her life.
dont judge until you have been if that position

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Unregistered

Default re: If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support?

No, generally giving up your parental rights does not remove your obligation to pay child support. It merely takes away your rights in the decision making process. Just because you aren't man enough to hold up your end of the obligation to the child doesn't mean that the obligation isn't still there.

Oh and as for your comment about not judging, I am a single father who fought for 3 years and came close to going bankrupt before I got first visitation and then later custody of my 2 sons so I HAVE been there. If you don't have a relationship with your daughter its YOUR fault...no one elses.

Honoring your obligation as a parent is one of the most difficult things there is in life. I also know that the legal system in most states isn't exactly jumping on the "Mens Rights" bandwagon. With that said, it IS possible...you just have to bust ass and get it done.

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #5

Sorry, but unfortunately there are occasions when custodial mothers and biased courts virtually eliminate any chance a father has to maintain any relationship with his kids.
I am glad you were succesfull, but based upon what I have seen on these forums and by reading court rulings and appeals cases, you were lucky. Do not rush to judgment on someones character so quickly, when you do not know what has occurred to beat their spirits down so far.
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Unregistered

Default Re: If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support?

You would still be responsible to pay support "Unless" it is written into the forms that ALL ties, communication, visitation and finacial are hereby stopped and no longer your responsibility, and you no longer have any right to discuss anything pertaining to your child. No comments on schooling, dating, money issues, job issues, no comments on serious health issues should any arise and you do not get to know where they move to if they move, or if they change their name in the future you will not be informed...it would be a total and complete cut off. Now unless you are a SEX offender why would you want to NOT get to know your daughter?! Not Judging merely curious.

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Unregistered

Default Re: If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support?

Quote:
No, generally giving up your parental rights does not remove your obligation to pay child support. It merely takes away your rights in the decision making process. Just because you aren't man enough to hold up your end of the obligation to the child doesn't mean that the obligation isn't still there.

Oh and as for your comment about not judging, I am a single father who fought for 3 years and came close to going bankrupt before I got first visitation and then later custody of my 2 sons so I HAVE been there. If you don't have a relationship with your daughter its YOUR fault...no one elses.

Honoring your obligation as a parent is one of the most difficult things there is in life. I also know that the legal system in most states isn't exactly jumping on the "Mens Rights" bandwagon. With that said, it IS possible...you just have to bust ass and get it done.
Well, I disagree... it is not YOUR fault..We all have different circumstances.. I am a mother of 3 two from a former marriage and my husband has a child with an ex girlfriend from 10 yrs ago and we have 1 together... he has had custody of his daughter for most of her life until the mother came back in to her life 4 1/2 yrs ago. He agreed in court all those years ago that if she came back around he would agree to shared custody. She now has basically taken the child and will not allow her to come home to us (her father) the moment she won her case for child support. The child is being a brat as well and wants to live with her mommy cause it's just her and mommy and she doens't want to have to share her dad.. which she obviously has to since I'm married to him and we have a 15 months old. We have fought with this nut case of a woman for years, spent thousands on lawyers, spent several days in and out of court, had the pleasure of having CAS at our door and dealing with the school and dealings with the child. This whole thing has been a nightmare, and it's getting really old, it's become a huge pain in the ass and unhealthy for our relationship and most of all our little girl.. So, my husband (we) are just a money tree... and that crazy woman who has damaged her child beyond, thinks its great.. So the next thing is she's moving back to where she came from which is 4 hours away.. should we pull up steaks quit our jobs uproot our daugther leave our family so we can follow this idiot and be at her beck and call and of course pay for her to sit on her lazy ass and do nothing.. yes that's right the woman is 35 yrs old, has an 11 yr old child, she does not work, and she still lives with her mother.. sound pathetic? it is !.. So, you'll forgive me, but in a case like this, giving up your rights is the only option.. there's no point beating a dead horse. And going to court to fight for her is useless, she will not come back thanks to the damage that's been done. So, that being said do you really think this self centered, lazy, money grubbing, moron of a woman is going to sign any papers allowing him to give up his rights.. NO, then she'll lose her $$$$$$

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Unregistered

Now that this dinosaur of a thread has been revived,,, the answer to the original question is yes, the OP has probably (after 4 years) discovered that he is, indeed, still on the hook for child support. Child support and parental rights have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Child support is paid because the child is entitled to be financially supported by both parents (and not merely one) as it did not ask to be brought into the world. Give up your rights if you wish, but child support will continue.

There really is no way around it. There may be unique and unusual circumstances where a judge may order child support stopped, but it's very rare and only in those unusual circumstances that it happens.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Banned User
lunchbox's Flag is: United States

No. Child support and parental custody are two different things altogether. Child support is a parent's responsibility and a child's right. In almost all cases, the court will rule that a child support be given.
lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 26th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Unregistered

It absolutely sucks that you have to pay for a child you don't want to deal with. BTW, I am a mother who has to pay after the father cheatd and had two other brats. So I left.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 70 replies and has been viewed 99136 times