Child Support / Unemployed Spouse

This is a discussion on Child Support / Unemployed Spouse within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My husband has been unemployed for a few months. I am in the process of getting started with a request ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #1
TallBamaChic80's Flag is: United States

Default Child Support / Unemployed Spouse

My husband has been unemployed for a few months. I am in the process of getting started with a request for divorce. How will his being unemployed affect child support? He worked a whole year last year and should have a job again soon. Should I hold off till he is working again? I know this sounds selfish but I will need the support to take care of our 5 yr old son.
TallBamaChic80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #2
TallBamaChic80's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Child Support / Unemployed Spouse

Child Support, unemployment
TallBamaChic80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

No, he'll be ordered to pay according to his ability to earn. They can also take up to 50% of his unemployment.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBamaChic80 View Post
My husband has been unemployed for a few months. I am in the process of getting started with a request for divorce. How will his being unemployed affect child support? He worked a whole year last year and should have a job again soon. Should I hold off till he is working again? I know this sounds selfish but I will need the support to take care of our 5 yr old son.
Support is ordered on one's earnings or earning ability. Support will be ordered as both parents have an obligation to support their children. Support will be based upon current financial statements with the court also requiring the last few years' tax returns.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #5
Banned User
brucemoe37's Flag is: India

Child support is very common problem that many families are facing and this problem specially arises after divorce. Well there is one good solution, Simon family law, its the best and professional family lawyer that would help in this situation. Simon is specially professional in certain fields like child support, divorce, testimony, parenting etc.
brucemoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1171 times