WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Will I win my case?! Do I need a lawyer or will I be okay without one?

Will I win my case?! Do I need a lawyer or will I be okay without one?

This is a discussion on Will I win my case?! Do I need a lawyer or will I be okay without one? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; So here is the story, I agreed in oct 2010 to 50/50 custody and placement with the father of my ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1
chevybaby24's Flag is: United States

Default Will I win my case?! Do I need a lawyer or will I be okay without one?

So here is the story, I agreed in oct 2010 to 50/50 custody and placement with the father of my child. My daughter is turning 3 the end of this month. Since this has occured much has happend and I filed the other day to motion for full custody/placement. The judge approved it and we have to go to mediation and then court if we dont agree. I am working on proving my case. What I want to know is what are my chances, do I need a lawyer or will I be okay without one?
Facts he has on me:
When we met we basically partied alot and slept together when we were messed up, I had cleaned up and stopped seeing him, but we were both staying with a mutaual friend. One night I got drunk and passed out he carried me upstaris and had sex with me, our mutual friend told me the next day about this. About a month or so later I found out I was pregnant and thus had my daughter , I dont believe in abortion. This made it so hard for me to deal with being around him after he started coming into her life. So Around december 2011 i told him he could have her i was done with it i couldnt handle it ( he denies pretty much raping me) i walked away for about 5 months. Then i decided i couldnt walk away from my daughter no matter how hard it was having to keep him in my life so i started taking her again, all of this happend while we had 50/50 custody and placement he never reported this but i kno he is gnna use this against me in court. How is this going to look on me? will this prevent me from winning? other than this i have nothing on my crminal record but traffic tickets i work im in college i have a license im a very responsible person.
Facts I have on him.
I walked in on him smoking pot in front of my daughter, I called the cops, the cop got there and he wouldnt let him search the place, but the cop made a statement that he did smell marijuana on his clothing, I have the police statement.
The neighbornhood he lives in has been known for many drug busts i have print outs of news reports and what not of this. The cop that came out there also stated how gross the apartment is. he also has no license or vehicle and just recently started working as a cook at a bar.
Now the question is, is this enough for me to win , or do i need a lawyer what can i do or should i do, im so stressed out please help!!
chevybaby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Default re: Will I win my case?! Do I need a lawyer or will I be okay without one?

In any legal matter it is always best to use a lawyer. Even if your case is strong your lack of legal knowledge could keep valuable evidence out of case or even cause you to lose!
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Top Level Member

Default Re: Will I win my case?! Do I need a lawyer or will I be okay without one?

In this if you are familiar with legal and court proceedings you can appear the court yourself. If you are able to engage a lawyer, it is better to do so. In your case you are required to collect a lot of evidence in support of you and also need to present it in a convincible manner before the court, so engaging a lawyer is the best solution.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:27 PM   #4
chevybaby24's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Will I win my case?! Do I need a lawyer or will I be okay without one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
In this if you are familiar with legal and court proceedings you can appear the court yourself. If you are able to engage a lawyer, it is better to do so. In your case you are required to collect a lot of evidence in support of you and also need to present it in a convincible manner before the court, so engaging a lawyer is the best solution.
What would be considered good evidence. I do have police reports of drug busts recently in that area, on the same street in fact, does this help, to prove the environment is unsafe. I have a police report stating he smelled of weed and his house was really dirty and gross.
I have a facebook message from his girlfriend stating that he is verbally abusive and that he is never there and she takes care of Tianna. Is this enough?
chevybaby24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 02:25 PM   #5
johnnybgood's Flag is: Canada

the only issue with a lwayer is $$$$$$$$$$ trust me, cost me $5000 for one day representation,, then I said no more I will represent myself, I did better one my case! if you feel you have a strong case be your own lawyer,, if you have money to burn,, get a lawyer,,,, not everyone can represent their own case but I know of alot that have and won.,, good luck
johnnybgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

One is always better off having a good family law attorney represent them in custody cases. Not only does the lawyer know the law and evidence rules, what is competent evidence and not, can land on and emphasize the important points the court wants to see -- but custody matters are visceral, emotional ones and people rarely can present the facts in a detached, objective and cogent manner. Even lawyers retain other lawyers to represent them in custody suits.

That being said, any evidence you intend to present that the father is unfit will have to be tacked directly to the father, not the neighborhood. And it will have to be admissable under the evidence rules adopted by your state.

My recommendation is that see a family law attorney to evaluate your case, the facts and evidence before deciding how to proceed. You will benefit from the consultation.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1343 times