Ohio partial child support payment question

This is a discussion on Ohio partial child support payment question within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My fiancé is from Ohio and has a support order, in Wisconsin for example, if you pay 5 dollars, as ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #1
NykkiMychelle's Flag is: United States

Default Ohio partial child support payment question

My fiancé is from Ohio and has a support order, in Wisconsin for example, if you pay 5 dollars, as long as you're paying something they won't take you to jail. My question is if he had to pay half of his payment a few times, I have no idea how Ohio laws are, would he go to jail for that?
NykkiMychelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Ohio partial child support payment question

I wish to inform you that in Ohio if a person does not make the child support payments as ordered by the court then that person is in contempt of the court. Further, if the court finds a person in contempt of court then it can order that the person pay costs of contempt hearing, the attorney fees and can even send the person to jail in certain circumstances. If the person repeatedly fails to pay then the penalties may include up to 18 months in jail.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

If he has a compelling reason - unemployment for example - he can file a file a petition for a modification. If it is so he can go on vacation, or buy a stereo system, then he needs tp just pay up.

He has to be found willfully in contempt for jail to be a consideration.
goddessoflubboc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 28th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NykkiMychelle View Post
My fiancé is from Ohio and has a support order, in Wisconsin for example, if you pay 5 dollars, as long as you're paying something they won't take you to jail. My question is if he had to pay half of his payment a few times, I have no idea how Ohio laws are, would he go to jail for that?
The court order is what it says it is. Child support is not an unsecured debt for discretionary items -- it is the essential money a child needs for food, shelter, clothing, medical care, school costs. Yes, your fiance is in of the court order. He can be hauled into court on contempt and possibly go to jail if the delinquency is serious enough. The laws are essentially the same across the nation.

Since he has made half payments, it behooves him to catch up as soon as he can.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1120 times