Recording phone conversations between child and parent.

This is a discussion on Recording phone conversations between child and parent. within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I am in a custody dispute over my two children and wanted to know if I believe that their father ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM   #1

Confused Recording phone conversations between child and parent.

I am in a custody dispute over my two children and wanted to know if I believe that their father is trying to manipulate, pursuade them, lie to them or tell them that I've said things that I havn't, if I could record their phone conversations to prove this. If I tell the courts that he's doing this he'll just tell them that he isn't and stop doing it over the phone but keep doing it in person. I need to prove what kind a parent he is. What are my options?
I live in Ontario Canada.

Last edited by jenna_in2003; Aug 22nd, 2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Input of location info
jenna_in2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Recording phone conversations between child and parent.

I would call the police or prosecutor in your area and ask if you can record firstly. They will tell you.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #3

I had over three years of taped phone calls between my ex and I thrown out of court, even though he knew I was taping, all because I didn’t say at the start of each and every call “this call could be taped and used in court” My ex now sees it as a big joke that I say that, but the whole tone of the calls has changed, he is now respectful and the model ex the judge was lead to believe him to be… if I had only known that from the start I could have been spared years of harassing calls.
Frustrated Divorcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #4

Unhappy Re: Recording phone conversations between child and parent.

Wow.. that is shocking and more then a little depressing (considering my own situation) to hear.
I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through that you did only to have him not only get away with it but make it into a joke.
Thank you so much for your reply.
Jenna
jenna_in2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #5

There are only 13 states that you can record phone conversation with out the other party having knowledge. I know because I researched it. My ex husband tried to try some of those similar stunts.
worriedmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 01:07 AM   #6

I found a great site for anyone wanting to record phone calls. I hope this can help anyone who needs this kind of info.

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-reco...erent%20States
Frustrated Divorcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Unregistered

Thumbs Up Re: Recording phone conversations between child and parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedmommy2 View Post
There are only 13 states that you can record phone conversation with out the other party having knowledge. I know because I researched it. My ex husband tried to try some of those similar stunts.
In the state of nc you can record phone calls without telling the other party..

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #8
Unregistered

ALSO----- check with your state attorney general's office or the local police dept. before taping--See also "taping phone calls" on the site-- http://www.worldlawdirect.com/article/1042 -- if you can't tape calls then you normally cannot tape conversations--if you can tape calls then check with your State Attorney General for the laws regarding in-person conversations--

Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #9
ask-ally

My ex husband has been recording my conversations between me and my two boys. The tapes have been altered and stopped in certain areas and started again in other areas. He is trying to manipulate our conversations. His attorney is trying to get them admitted under the new statute that you can record your child's phone conversations if they are dealing with a sexual predator (mainly due to Internet) or someone is trying to do physical harm to your child. None of which are our case but that is the "loop" hole they are trying to use. Any laws against this. Neither of us knew they were being recorded until we entered court for a temporary hearing. We are in the State of Georgia.

Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Unregistered

That is clearly not the rationale that allows him to tape. You should ask the judge to exclude that "chopped up" manipulated evidence and impose a fine. And you should file criminal charges for illegal taping.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 10592 times