Food Stamps - Joint Custody, Florida

This is a discussion on Food Stamps - Joint Custody, Florida within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My son lives in Florida and has joint custodial custody of a 14yr old daughter. He recently lost his job, ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #1
aprilrose's Flag is: United States

Default Food Stamps - Joint Custody, Florida

My son lives in Florida and has joint custodial custody of a 14yr old daughter. He recently lost his job, due to the company closing. He applied for food stamps and was told he was ineligible, and that he would have to take the child's Mother to court for support. He doesn't want to disrupt a custody situation that has been working well for 14 years. He just wants to be able to feed his daughter.

Is this right? It seems like pretty drastic steps for a temporary situation.
aprilrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Food Stamps - Joint Custody, Florida

I wish to inform you that your son may file a Motion for Temporary Support and Time Sharing with his daughter in the same court which awarded the joint custody. He may inform the court about his situation pertaining to the loss of his job after his company closed. He may also inform that he is on food stamps. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter in the best interests of the child.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default re: Food Stamps - Joint Custody, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilrose View Post
My son lives in Florida and has joint custodial custody of a 14yr old daughter. He recently lost his job, due to the company closing. He applied for food stamps and was told he was ineligible, and that he would have to take the child's Mother to court for support. He doesn't want to disrupt a custody situation that has been working well for 14 years. He just wants to be able to feed his daughter.

If the daughter is living with him, he is eligible for TANF, welfare -- and food stamps for his daughter and himself plus temporary cash support. I suggest you see an advocate with one of the private agencies, such as Catholic charities who is familiar with the statutes and process. Even as an unemployed individual he is entitled to food stamps. Sometimes one is forced to appeal decisions of state case workers. But with an advocate to clue him in, on his side, his chances are better. This is the type of matter Legal Aid handles as well.
Friend In Court is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 8th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #4

Default Re: Food Stamps - Joint Custody, Florida

While I appreciate the answers everyone has presented they don't really answer the question. He cannot afford to take this matter to court. He is loosing his home, and is spending his time trying to find a job. Besides this was a hard contested joint custody arrangement. And the parents have finally come to an ammicable relationship. Why should he have to take actions that might alter that? He has his daughter one week and Mom the next. The court papers say that each parent has the reponsibility for 50% of her care in every aspect. He shouldn't have to fight to get food stamps for her for 2 weeks out of the month. This just is not right.

Old Aug 10th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #5
gemma's Flag is: United States

AprilRose...as a mother myself, and just a civilian (not an attorney) I empathize with your situation.

However; it's my feeling that you are talking about getting a basic need for this child. FOOD. Unless you want to help keep the "good flow" that he has with his ex and provide financial support, this is why these types of things are in place. Courts have mechanisms to waive fees to file, and he can represent himself. It's not like he's asking for a change in circumstances. Unless there is cause for concern and safety/welfare to the child, let your son grow up and take care of this. Who cares if he's got to go through a little turmoil to get it...it's a child with BASIC needs.
Sounds to me more that you are trying to keep it a secret from the ex for maybe reasons of visitation or physical custody. That would be a very selfish things to do, and it will ALWAYS come out in the end.
So...either help or let him help her. School is coming up too....who's gonna by supplies?
Think about it, and put the kids needs first...

Good luck.
gemma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 10th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #6

Gemma I appreciate your reply but I really don't need an amature shrink second guessing what I am doing and why. I am not in any way enabling my son, in fact I was checking to see if I was getting the truth or if he had misunderstood what he was told. Believe me...I know what the courts have in place and I also know that my son has spent over $45,000 to keep custody of his daughter because Mom takes him to court at the drop of a hat. And she is the one that is unfit according to Child Services.

I thank everyone for their attempt to help...but this is going no where.

Old Aug 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:

Seemed like a pretty simple request. Sorry it wasn't what you were looking for. The courts are going to look for the other parent's help before using state funds to give away. Pretty rudimentary.

Good luck.

Old Aug 15th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #8
dsspansat's Flag is: United States

If I understood, your son should file the Modification of Child Support if your son had joint custodial custody to ask the court for support from ex-wife. The child support base on income of both parent and the need of children. Whom make more money should support the children base on income. Your son is unemployment that means no income so his ex-wife should support the children. Here is the link for the form : http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/f...rules/905b.pdf
dsspansat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #9

Look everyone is just shooting in the dark with no real answers. I AM NOT going to go in to the full situation on here but suffice it to say there has been no real help offered. It is not as simple as filing papers, going to court and getting child support. This is a very complicated child custody case.

Can someone please tell me how to unsubscribe from this site?

Thanks

Old Aug 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Look everyone is just shooting in the dark with no real answers. I AM NOT going to go in to the full situation on here but suffice it to say there has been no real help offered. It is not as simple as filing papers, going to court and getting child support. This is a very complicated child custody case.

Can someone please tell me how to unsubscribe from this site?

Thanks
What is it your asking? Really. You haven't really posed any true question other than how to unsubscribe.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2716 times