Child support if unemployed? (we live in Ontario, Canada)

This is a discussion on Child support if unemployed? (we live in Ontario, Canada) within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; How does the law work when a parent does not have a job? There is no child support order set ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1
monicagrn's Flag is: Canada

Default Child support if unemployed? (we live in Ontario, Canada)

How does the law work when a parent does not have a job?

There is no child support order set yet, but I would like to get one in place. However, my 3 yr old's father does not have a job-states he can't find one in NC? I've used the Ontario child support calculator (we live in Ontario, Canada), but it appears based on income.....what if there's no income?
Thank you!
monicagrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Child support if unemployed? (we live in Ontario, Canada)

First of all let me remind you that both parents have equal rights on their children. From the facts it is understood that the father is unemployed. Though he is unemployed, his liability to pay child support will not cease. As a biological father he is bound to pay child support for the betterment of his child. In unemployment or under employment cases the courts will consider what is reasonable in the circumstances. The factors to be considered are the person's age, education, experience, skills, health, availability of job opportunities, the number of hours that could be worked in light of the parent's overall obligations including educational demands and the hourly rate that the parent could reasonably be expected to obtain. It is better advised that you may consult with a Family Law Attorney who can give a proper guidance in this regard.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #3
spunky's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicagrn View Post
How does the law work when a parent does not have a job?

There is no child support order set yet, but I would like to get one in place. However, my 3 yr old's father does not have a job-states he can't find one in NC? I've used the Ontario child support calculator (we live in Ontario, Canada), but it appears based on income.....what if there's no income?
Thank you!
I can second that the jobs in NC are limited if any at all. You are lucky if you can find a job digging a ditch with or without a college degree. No one is hiring anywhere. He can go to social services and TRY to get some type of job placement, but with the economy here as bad as it is, it is highly doubtful he will find anything soon. Many people here are having a hard time finding any means of income.

Should he get lucky and find a job, child support would be based on his income, your income, and the needs of the child.

Good luck!

Last edited by spunky; Jul 26th, 2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: left out a word
spunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

If you and the child are in Canada, it will be difficult to get a support order out of the father if he is residing in North Carolina. The Canadian court would have no jurisdiction over him unless he travels to Canada and is served there or voluntarily submits to the jurisdiction of the Canadian court.

You may check this out with Canadian counsel, but I think the answer will be the same.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2773 times