My ex husband is a sociopath

This is a discussion on My ex husband is a sociopath within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I was given a letter, notarized and signed by my ex husband, who obtained physical custody of my children in ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #1
sepottage's Flag is: United States

Default My ex husband is a sociopath

I was given a letter, notarized and signed by my ex husband, who obtained physical custody of my children in Georgia because he filed for divorce first. I wanted the divorce because of infidellity and the inability on his part to keep a job. We were living with his parents at the time and I was a stay at home mother with no family in the state. The letter I mention was giving me permission to take our children, five and three, to Texas with me to live with the support of my parents so I could get on my feet after the divorce. He signed and notarized a verification, waiver of jurisdiction, and waiver of venue so I could file and change custody into my name. I was told by our judge's clerk that I had to wait six months while living in Texas to establish residency here. So I waited and went to the county court to file for change of custody here in Texas and they told me to go back to Georgia to do it. My kids were living with me for 13 months in Texas and had medical benefits, etc. and received all their shots that their father could not get but lied about while he had them in Georgia. Anyway, my daughter, five year old, was spanked too hard by the babysitter's boyfriend here in Texas and left marks. I called the police immediately and let my ex husband know what was going on. CPS got involved and started to investigate me for neglect. However, my ex promised to send me money for good child care but it never happened. So all I could afflord was the babysitter I hired. She had a background check and everything. My ex husband had a girlfriend at the time that didn
t want kids so for the 13 months I had them he rarely called and only came to visit them after a year for a weekend. So my ex husband showed up at my door after his girlfriend broke up with him when he returned to Georgia from visiting his kids here in Texas and told me that CPS was going to turn my kids over to the state custody because of the babysitter boyfriend abuse until they finished the investigation. He claimed it would only be for a month or two visit and then would return the kids. He now refuses to return my kids to me. I have been severely depressed for the last two months they have been gone and living with my ex husband. FYI, he has never been able to keep a job for more than three months and currently lives with his parents at age 31 and they pay for everything. I need to get my kids back, asap, also his mother has been brain\washing my five year old daughter into not wanting to come back to Texas and she won't speak to me on the phone. I need help!
sepottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: My ex husband is a sociopath

I wish to inform you that the original court which passed the child custody order has continuing jurisdiction in the matter of child custody. Therefore, you may approach the court in Georgia for modification of child custody order to give you child custody and permission to take the children out of state to Texas. You may show to the court that the father of the children does not have a stable job and stays with his parents. Further, you are not being allowed to freely communicate with your children on telephone and the grand mother of the child is brain washing her mind against you. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter in the best interests of the children. Generally, the courts encourage that the children come up under the care of both the parents.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Top Level Member

First of all let me remind you that both parents have equal rights on their children. Though you have made an arrangement with your ex for having custody of the children, it is better to get the custody through court order in order to avoid future conflicts. From the facts it is understood that the court in Georgia first entertained the custody petition. If that be so you have to approach the Georgia court for custody modification. In custody petitions court will consider the best interest of the children. You can bring to the attention of the court regarding your exs infidelity and inability to keep his job. For sure court will consider your request and pass appropriate orders. It is better advised that you may consult with a Family Law Attorney who can give a proper guidance in this regard.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #4
Unregistered

You need help all right but not the kind you think you need here.

The child is better off with her father if her mother can't place her in good care where she won't be getting physically abused by "the babysitter's boyfriend".

What's the babysitter's boyfriend doing around the child in the first place and what's he doing putting his hands on your child? This is what happens with parents don't raise their own children and leave the child rearing to "babysitters" and daycare.

Your ex husband is smart to keep the kids. You have to realize your own culpability in this.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #5
RRS913's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You need help all right but not the kind you think you need here.

The child is better off with her father if her mother can't place her in good care where she won't be getting physically abused by "the babysitter's boyfriend".

What's the babysitter's boyfriend doing around the child in the first place and what's he doing putting his hands on your child? This is what happens with parents don't raise their own children and leave the child rearing to "babysitters" and daycare.

Your ex husband is smart to keep the kids. You have to realize your own culpability in this.

I agree with everything you have said here, except for the part about daycare, etc. not everyone is priveledged to not have to work. I work 40+ hours a week, along with my kids dad. My family cannot watch them durning the day either, so my children go to one of my best friends inhome daycares. If I could stay home with my children, I would, but food, medical insurance, etc isnt going to pay for itself.

It sounds to me that the kids are better off with the father at this point, you even said yourself that you are depressed...being depressed is not going to help your children. You need to seek help for that as well. I realize the fact that you dont have your kids is the main reason you are feeling that way, but you need to get better first so you can take care of them. Secondly, they have help for mothers that work and need daycare if you cannot afford it yourself. The babysitter should not be bringing boyfriends over, nor should they be allowed is discipline in that way. A time out, would be better suited for a babysitter.

I am sorry I am not offering much help, just my opinion. Good luck!
RRS913 is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

If the children have not been in Georgia with your ex, then you may bring an action in Texas for custody and their immediate return. The UCCJA requires a custody case be filed in the state where the children have been for six months. If you leave them in Georgia long enough, he will be able to file for a custody order there and you will have to travel. to Georgia to defend.

My recommendation is that you see a family law attorney right away. If you cannot afford one, then try Legal Services. But you need an attorney to file the proper papers for you before it is too late.
Friend In Court is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #7
spunky's Flag is: United States

I'm just curious, why was the babysitter's boyfriend allowed to be around the children in the first place?
spunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #8

Of course the babysitter's boyfriend wasn't allowed to watch my children. She left my kids with him without my knowledge, (according to my daughter), and went to jack in the box.

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #9

You're a moron. I had a background check and references checked on this person. I hired her, not her boyfriend. How dare you make a judgement call on my situation when you have no idea who my kid's father is...or me for that matter.

Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #10
RRS913's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepottage View Post
You're a moron. I had a background check and references checked on this person. I hired her, not her boyfriend. How dare you make a judgement call on my situation when you have no idea who my kid's father is...or me for that matter.

I am not making a judgement call on you in anyway, I have an exhusband whom I believe to be the same. (Some dont agree with me, as they do not know the situation at all, nor do I know yours fully). I would check into some liscensed daycares, again, you can get help from your State to help pay for this; have all of that ready to go when you go to court (if that is what you choose to do). Do you have an appointed social worker you can talk to about this? They might be able to offer you some help in what your next move should be.
RRS913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2028 times