Getting parental rights signed away from non custodial parent

This is a discussion on Getting parental rights signed away from non custodial parent within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I have a 2 year old daughter which I have sole physical custody but joint legal custody with her father. ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM   #1
ala123's Flag is: United States

Default Getting parental rights signed away from non custodial parent

I have a 2 year old daughter which I have sole physical custody but joint legal custody with her father. He had taken me to court last October 2010 to start visitation and since then it has dwindled down to 1 day a week for 4 hours, he doesn't not call to check on her or say hi nothing ever, he doesn't not take part in her health or well being, he doesn't not pay his child support and complains constantly about the fact he has to pay at all, I am seeking advice on how to go about him signing his legal rights away or obtaining sole custody of her period. I live in Minnesota. I have tried reasoning with him, moving the schedule around to work for him, I have asked for him to try to take a better role in her life and nothing I say helps make him try any harder. I have seen my daughter emotionally distraught, crying and sad because he rarely shows up for the little time he has for her. She at 2 years old says "mama, why doesn't daddy want me, he doesn't love me." Absolutely heart breaking.
ala123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Getting parental rights signed away from non custodial parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ala123 View Post
I have a 2 year old daughter which I have sole physical custody but joint legal custody with her father. He had taken me to court last October 2010 to start visitation and since then it has dwindled down to 1 day a week for 4 hours, he doesn't not call to check on her or say hi nothing ever, he doesn't not take part in her health or well being, he doesn't not pay his child support and complains constantly about the fact he has to pay at all, I am seeking advice on how to go about him signing his legal rights away or obtaining sole custody of her period. I live in Minnesota. I have tried reasoning with him, moving the schedule around to work for him, I have asked for him to try to take a better role in her life and nothing I say helps make him try any harder. I have seen my daughter emotionally distraught, crying and sad because he rarely shows up for the little time he has for her. She at 2 years old says "mama, why doesn't daddy want me, he doesn't love me." Absolutely heart breaking.
You can't terminate his rights nor will a judge likely allow it even if he were to agree.

Two year old children do not say such things unless prompted. Stop saying these things to your child. It's hurting her just for a few moments of feeling better yourself.

It's probable that he dislikes you so much he is forfeiting his time with his child just to not have to deal with you. It happens quite frequently and it's unfortunate, since marriage is no longer included with having children.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:51 AM   #3
Top Level Member

Default Re: Getting parental rights signed away from non custodial parent

First of all let me remind you that both parents have equal rights on their children. You cannot ask him to sign off his rights. As a father he will not sign off his rights (exceptions are there). You can petition for getting sole custody of the child. In custody petitions court will consider the best interest of the child. So you have to convince the court that you have petitioned in the best interest of the child. If he is making default in paying child support /visitation rights you can point out that aspect before the court. It is better advised that you may consult with a Family Law Attorney who can give a proper guidance in this regard.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 3681 times