WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Can I legally adopt my niece? I would need financial assistance to take care of her.

Can I legally adopt my niece? I would need financial assistance to take care of her.

This is a discussion on Can I legally adopt my niece? I would need financial assistance to take care of her. within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; California: My neice outs her daughter in harms way, my great neice, her daughter is 7 yrs. old and is ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:56 AM   #1
jobo1956's Flag is: United States

Confused Can I legally adopt my niece? I would need financial assistance to take care of her.

California:

My neice outs her daughter in harms way, my great neice, her daughter is 7 yrs. old and is dealing with her mothers interactions with unsavory people. Obviously my neice does not have her daughter's best interest at heart. My neice is on section 8 and because of the recent events of nude pictures of her being put on the internet, threats to her and her daughter, time after time keeping her daughter at home from school because she cannot wake up to get her there, raises suspicion to not only the school but to CPS. I want to know can I legally adopt my neice? I am not working, I don't have any income, but I am in a stable enviornment. Therefore I would need some financial assistance to take care of her, is that possible? I believe her mother is on substance abuse and I believe this is very unhealthy for the 7 yr. old.
jobo1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Can I legally adopt my niece? I would need financial assistance to take care of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobo1956 View Post
California:

My neice outs her daughter in harms way, my great neice, her daughter is 7 yrs. old and is dealing with her mothers interactions with unsavory people. Obviously my neice does not have her daughter's best interest at heart. My neice is on section 8 and because of the recent events of nude pictures of her being put on the internet, threats to her and her daughter, time after time keeping her daughter at home from school because she cannot wake up to get her there, raises suspicion to not only the school but to CPS. I want to know can I legally adopt my neice? I am not working, I don't have any income, but I am in a stable enviornment. Therefore I would need some financial assistance to take care of her, is that possible? I believe her mother is on substance abuse and I believe this is very unhealthy for the 7 yr. old.
You have no legal rights to the child and cannot adopt her.

You could spend lots of money on an attorney who might be willing to take on such a rare case, but you will not prevail as long as a biological legal parent is alive.

You cannot raise children without any money. Children cost a lot of money. Think about how you could possibly afford to financially support this child with no income. You can't. You have to think in more realistic terms.

Also, this is not your problem. She had the child. It's her responsibility to rear the child.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Can I legally adopt my niece? I would need financial assistance to take care of h

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobo1956 View Post
California:

where is dad in all this? you need his permission too. if he says no then its no.

Old Apr 4th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I legally adopt my niece? I would need financial assistance to take care of h

Generally a relative has no locus standi to adopt a child while his/her parents are alive. But if the circumstances compel, a relative can also adopt a child. ‘Related Adoption’ is one in which a child’s relatives (such as grandparents or an aunt/uncle etc) can formally adopt a child as their own. This might occur if the child’s biological parents are deceased or are otherwise unable to care for the child. Here you can adopt your niece provided you should get consent form he biological parents or else you have to prove before the court that the biological parents are not taking care of the child and totally neglected . If the courts find that your request is genuine then the court will allow you to adopt the child. But remember you have to convince that court that you are in a stable position even though you don’t have a job. It seems that you can seek the help of child supporting agencies and other child organizations for help .It is better advised that you may consult with a Adoption Attorney who can give a proper guidance in this regard.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 3224 times