WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Taxes and IRS: Can I claim the child support I have paid to my ex?

Taxes and IRS: Can I claim the child support I have paid to my ex?

This is a discussion on Taxes and IRS: Can I claim the child support I have paid to my ex? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Can I claim the child support I have paid to my ex on my taxes?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Taxes and IRS: Can I claim the child support I have paid to my ex?

Can I claim the child support I have paid to my ex on my taxes?
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Taxes and IRS: Can I claim the child support I have paid to my ex?

I wish to inform you that if you have paid child support then that amount can be claimed provided you meet the test provided by IRS. In this regard if you intend to claim child support exemption then IRS provides that you must provide more than half of that personís total support in a calendar year. The rule further states that the parent who has custody for the greater part of the year is the custodial parent and that the parent will be treated as the person who has provided more than half of the childís support. Benefit of exemption can also be decide by parent through agreement.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Child support and taxes

It's crazy but no you can't claim it. Even though they tax the hell out of your paycheck and THEN take the money for child support, you can't claim it. What's even crazier is that they tax you for it, then take it, give it to the custodial parent, and they can't claim it as income either.
So you get taxes taken out of that money, then they give it to the custodial parent as tax free income. So they don't have to claim it as in income.
Once again another way for the ncp to be punished while the cp basks in the sunlight. Oh and the cp also gets to claim the child on their taxes too..........so you get screwed again.

Old Jan 12th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Unregistered

Default Re: Taxes and IRS: Can I claim the child support I have paid to my ex?

That figures.......women ruling the court system and now the tax system. What next?

Old Feb 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #5
cheermom79

Wink Re: Taxes and IRS: Can I claim the child support I have paid to my ex?

I take offensive to that statement.... MEN running their mouths... I am a WOMAN and a NCP... who gets screwed like you, while my ex is the cp and gets my money, and claim them on taxes... BUT, unlike LOTS of parents we try and be fair to benefit our children... I owe nothing in back taxes... I get my return, and IF I need to claim a kid, he lets me!!!

Old Feb 18th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermom79 View Post
I take offensive to that statement.... MEN running their mouths... I am a WOMAN and a NCP... who gets screwed like you,

IF I need to claim a kid, he lets me!!!
How do you get screwed like I do if he lets you claim a kid when you need to?
I can't claim my kids, ever because she does.

I pay child support which is taken out of my check AFTER taxes, and she isn't taxed for it but I am. She could make an extra 3grand a month from me and she'd never have to claim it,where as I had the taxes taken out of the money BEFORE they issued her the child support.

Old Nov 5th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #7
spitfire's Flag is: United States

I also am a woman and NCP. I have been screwed as much as any man here. I never get to claim my kids. My taxes are taken every year. He takes me back to court any time he thinks i got a raise and he has been working under the table for years now and has also filed for unemployment a couple of times after having a short term real job. One time he was on unemployment for 2 1/2 years thanks to the President extending it when he first came into office in 2008.
I really wish someone would petition for all of us. The amount they take is outrageous and i still get calls from my kids asking me for money because their dad told them too.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 5th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

Your taxes are not taken for vindictiveness. They are taken because you owe more than $500 in past due child support. If you read IRS guidelines they are very clear on who can claim a child.

Unemployment is there for the unemployed through no fault of their own.

Regardless of your gender the laws are the same.
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 16438 times