WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > If I sign over all rights for my child do I still have to pay child support?

If I sign over all rights for my child do I still have to pay child support?

This is a discussion on If I sign over all rights for my child do I still have to pay child support? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; in texas if i sign over all right for my child do i still have to pay child support?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Unregistered

Exclamation If I sign over all rights for my child do I still have to pay child support?

in texas if i sign over all right for my child do i still have to pay child support?
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: If I sign over all rights for my child do I still have to pay child support?

I wish to inform you that in case of termination of parental rights your child support obligation will not end. When a parent signs termination of parental rights then his rights with the child ends. However child support will finish if child is adopted or court orders such a thing with the termination of parental rights.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: If I sign over all rights for my child do I still have to pay child support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
in texas if i sign over all right for my child do i still have to pay child support?
Yes, and it still amazes me that people still believe that signing over their parental rights absolves them from the financial obligation they have toward the children they make.

They say men are "deadbeats" when they don't pay child support (or rather, can't), but the true definition of "deadbeat" in this regard is a parent who actually pursues terminating his own parental rights just to try getting out of paying child support.

Is that why you want to terminate your parental rights? Why not fight for MORE rights to your child instead of being a defeatist "victim"?

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #4
sassygirl's Flag is: United States

Angry Re: If I sign over all rights for my child do I still have to pay child support?

this is to the person who wrote that a deadbeat is a man that needs to get more rights well let me tell you something the sorry ass mother and daughter of my husband are wrong for doing him the way they do they take all his check and leave him with we have lost our apt because of that cuz of sorry ass mother that want to take it all from them but they got another man living with them and getting sssi and food stamps and tanf for 3 damd kids GET A DAMD JOB
sassygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Default Re: If I sign over all rights for my child do I still have to pay child support?

Obviously, both parents share responsibility for the child they created, when they elected to do the horizontal shuffle. They also made the determination the risk of pregnancy and genetic material they were comingling with was acceptable parenting material. No Indian Givers.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #6
justusinottawa's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, and it still amazes me that people still believe that signing over their parental rights absolves them from the financial obligation they have toward the children they make.

They say men are "deadbeats" when they don't pay child support (or rather, can't), but the true definition of "deadbeat" in this regard is a parent who actually pursues terminating his own parental rights just to try getting out of paying child support.

Is that why you want to terminate your parental rights? Why not fight for MORE rights to your child instead of being a defeatist "victim"?
I have spent close to $10,000 on lawyers to see my kids, my middle daughter, age 16, I only get to see once every 6 months because that is all her mom will force her to come over. My ex had our oldest daughter, who I had full custody of, emancipated behind my back, so my ex would get more in support for the other two. My ex also cut her hours at work in half which caused me to pay more in support, she is perfectly able to work full time and i think that should be considiared when figuring the support payment. She getting more money for working less. So when people say "fight for your kids more" its almost impossible. Iv spent 3 years and $10,000 with more than one lawyer fighting for my kids. I have pictures of my ex passed out drunk on the bathroom floor that my 13yo daughter took and posted on facebook laughing. I have hard proof of my ex driving drunk with the kids in the car one 4th of july weekend. I work 6-7 days a week to pay support on my kids. I pay almost 50% of my income to support and am also paying as much as i can to help our oldest through first years of college. But i still dont get regular visits from them because of my ex. She can get drunk and work only part time and not take any finacial resposibility for them because she knows i have to. The mother always gets favored in the court system and im proof that fighting it out does nothing i cant even see my kids on a regular basis even though the court shows that i am suppose to. Im paying half my income in support just because the mother only wants to work part time and knows i have to support them. At some point the fighting gets to much, if i gave up my rights and didnt have to pay support then our oldest daughter would have a much better education, i could pay my other kids college also and my kids would be much better off
justusinottawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 15th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #7
formula1129's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by justusinottawa View Post
I have spent close to $10,000 on lawyers to see my kids, my middle daughter, age 16, I only get to see once every 6 months because that is all her mom will force her to come over. My ex had our oldest daughter, who I had full custody of, emancipated behind my back, so my ex would get more in support for the other two. My ex also cut her hours at work in half which caused me to pay more in support, she is perfectly able to work full time and i think that should be considiared when figuring the support payment. She getting more money for working less. So when people say "fight for your kids more" its almost impossible. Iv spent 3 years and $10,000 with more than one lawyer fighting for my kids. I have pictures of my ex passed out drunk on the bathroom floor that my 13yo daughter took and posted on facebook laughing. I have hard proof of my ex driving drunk with the kids in the car one 4th of july weekend. I work 6-7 days a week to pay support on my kids. I pay almost 50% of my income to support and am also paying as much as i can to help our oldest through first years of college. But i still dont get regular visits from them because of my ex. She can get drunk and work only part time and not take any finacial resposibility for them because she knows i have to. The mother always gets favored in the court system and im proof that fighting it out does nothing i cant even see my kids on a regular basis even though the court shows that i am suppose to. Im paying half my income in support just because the mother only wants to work part time and knows i have to support them. At some point the fighting gets to much, if i gave up my rights and didnt have to pay support then our oldest daughter would have a much better education, i could pay my other kids college also and my kids would be much better off
This doesn't surprise me at all. Women these days have children and get married to financaily secure themselves, knowing the extreme bias the family courts practice. My advise to you is to keep fighting the fight. Your ex and the Courts are counting on you to just give up and pay, because in their eyes, a man is only good for one thing. His wallet.

Child Support: For The Best Interest Of The Baby Mama

Alimony.......Because he wasn't good enough for you, but his money is.

Women Who Can't Feed Their Children Are Rewarded With Government Handouts.
Men Who Can't Feed Their Children Are Sent To Jail.

Paying Child Support For 18 Years: Up to $250,000.00 Plus
Getting A Vasectomy: About $500.00
Shooting blanks to Keep your money yours: Priceless
formula1129 is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member
grim509's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1129 View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all. Women these days have children and get married to financaily secure themselves, knowing the extreme bias the family courts practice. My advise to you is to keep fighting the fight. Your ex and the Courts are counting on you to just give up and pay, because in their eyes, a man is only good for one thing. His wallet.
Are you referring to the bias that forces custodial parents to fully support a child by themselves while a NCP can go months or years without paying support or being in their child's lives with no reprocussions? When's the last time you heard of a NCP being arrested for failure to support after just a couple of weeks? Hmm... imagine what would happen if a CP didn't feed a child for 3 days.

That's your double-standard and bias.
grim509 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Jam1metallica's Flag is: United States

Ok. But what if my child is living in a different state with her mom and the guy that she calls dad. And knows nothing of me. What rights do i have then? I could fight to have visitation, yes. But paying child support and the visitation costs on top of bills i barley pay doesnt sound affordable.
Jam1metallica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 5th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #10
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1metallica View Post
Ok. But what if my child is living in a different state with her mom and the guy that she calls dad. And knows nothing of me. What rights do i have then? I could fight to have visitation, yes. But paying child support and the visitation costs on top of bills i barley pay doesnt sound affordable.
I suppose that it has to do with your priorities.

When the mother told you she had given birth, did you make any efforts to be a part of the child's life? Did you petition the court to assert any parental rights, either before or after she moved out of state? Did you make ANY efforts or attempts to be a parent to this child?

If the answer to all of the above is NO, then it's your OWN fault that the child doesn't even know you and that there is so much distance between you and the child that visitation is near impossible. Had you stepped up and made it known to the courts that you wanted to be involved with this child, steps could have been taken to facilitate a relationship with the child. The court could have considered the impact on that relationship of allowing mom to move so far away, and either prevented her from moving, or made her financially responsible for the distance she created by offsetting your child support and/or forcing her to cover transportation expenses so that you could see the child on a regular basis. The court can't make such orders if you don't ask for it.

You created this child. Whether or not you choose to be a part of the child's life is your decision. Even if you choose NOT to be, that child still needs food, clothing, shelter, and other living expenses. You will still be obligated to financially support those needs even if you've decided not to visit your child. That will continue until he child reaches the age of majority, or there is another person willing to step in and carry that financial burden for you.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 20207 times