WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > contempt of court: how to punish the mother for not following a court order

contempt of court: how to punish the mother for not following a court order

This is a discussion on contempt of court: how to punish the mother for not following a court order within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; 2 yrs ago my husband and i went to court to get visitation of his son and to get his ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused contempt of court: how to punish the mother for not following a court order

2 yrs ago my husband and i went to court to get visitation of his son and to get his named changed to my husbands. my lawyer sent off to have the birth certificate changed and that is it. the mother of the child was suppose to do the rest. it has been over 2 yrs and his ss card, medicaid and name at his school has not been changed. we have tried ourselves but they want his legal guardian to do it. i talked to my lawyer and she just wants more money for the same case. how do i go about cheaply making this woman (the mother) be punished for not following a court order? i am so sick of it! she is in contempt and nothing is done about it. i need help bad!
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: contempt of court: how to punish the mother for not following a court order

Exactly how is Mom in contempt?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: contempt of court: how to punish the mother for not following a court order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
2 yrs ago my husband and i went to court to get visitation of his son and to get his named changed to my husbands. my lawyer sent off to have the birth certificate changed and that is it. the mother of the child was suppose to do the rest. it has been over 2 yrs and his ss card, medicaid and name at his school has not been changed. we have tried ourselves but they want his legal guardian to do it. i talked to my lawyer and she just wants more money for the same case. how do i go about cheaply making this woman (the mother) be punished for not following a court order? i am so sick of it! she is in contempt and nothing is done about it. i need help bad!
How is this your problem? You need to stay out of it. It's none of your business. This is your husband's issue to deal with, not yours.

You need help bad alright. You need to learn how to mind your own business and you need to learn proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: contempt of court: how to punish the mother for not following a court order

for the nice person that posted: the problem is that we have a court order for his name to be changed and she wont do it!!! social security will not let my husband do it bc he is not the legal guardian. that is contempt of court in my book and against the law!! if he was in contempt they would be quit to throw him in jail. for the 2nd person who replied rudely: it is my f**in bussiness bc the child comes to my house and i treat him like he is my own. just bc he aint my kid dont mean i dont care about him. we are a family. and for the spelling and puncutation. have ya ever heard of short hand. oh and i guess your one of those b**** ass moms like she is that would do anything to throw their baby daddy in jail!!

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
for the nice person that posted: the problem is that we have a court order for his name to be changed and she wont do it!!! social security will not let my husband do it bc he is not the legal guardian. that is contempt of court in my book and against the law!! if he was in contempt they would be quit to throw him in jail. for the 2nd person who replied rudely: it is my f**in bussiness bc the child comes to my house and i treat him like he is my own. just bc he aint my kid dont mean i dont care about him. we are a family. and for the spelling and puncutation. have ya ever heard of short hand. oh and i guess your one of those b**** ass moms like she is that would do anything to throw their baby daddy in jail!!

Ah, short-hand. I remember having to study tee-line shorthand many years ago when I was just a wee thing. But that's completely irrelevant.

What IS relevant is the fact that there is a court order and Mom is not following it.

Dad needs to take the issue back to court. Don't expect Mom to be punished too harshly though - if at all. The likelihood is that she'll get a slap on the wrist and be given some more time to actually do what she's been ordered to do.

Dad can also request legal fees if it costs him anything. But he's got to take the first step himself and take her back to court.

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Unregistered

Yes dont expect them to do anything to Mom because Mom's can be in contempt a hundred fold and never get anything but a slap on the wrist, and that is if the judge is having a bad day. Most of them can do what they want with the children and never get in trouble. If dad were the one doing this and the shoe was on the other foot, dad would have been thrown under the jail many many times for contempt.

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes dont expect them to do anything to Mom because Mom's can be in contempt a hundred fold and never get anything but a slap on the wrist, and that is if the judge is having a bad day. Most of them can do what they want with the children and never get in trouble. If dad were the one doing this and the shoe was on the other foot, dad would have been thrown under the jail many many times for contempt.

That's emotion talking, not sense.

Both genders are frequently found to be in contempt of court orders. However, punishment generally is very light - if present at all - to begin with. The offending parent is generally given a chance to rectify the situation first.

Again, that applies to both genders.

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
That's emotion talking, not sense.

Both genders are frequently found to be in contempt of court orders. However, punishment generally is very light - if present at all - to begin with. The offending parent is generally given a chance to rectify the situation first.

Again, that applies to both genders.
Not emotion talking, its TRUTH. Women rarely if ever get thrown in jail for contempt of an order when it comes to children. what planet are you on?

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Unregistered

Thank you nice ppl for the help. i know both parents, either gender could be in contempt of court. and i figured nothing would happen to her. its not fair that a woman, a mom, will not get in trouble for going against the law but a father will. the law is the law whoever you are. but i know it dont work that way. no this is not all emotion talking. i didnt like that someone said this is not my bussiness. we are a family whether or not the child is my legal child or not. and exactly my grammer and spelling is not the issue here. its about being fair. our lawyer done told us if we went back to court it would cost agian, which i dont understand because it is the same case. didnt know we could request legal fees. i think she should have to pay for it because she is the one going agaist court orders.

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Not emotion talking, its TRUTH. Women rarely if ever get thrown in jail for contempt of an order when it comes to children. what planet are you on?

Non-payment of child support can eventually become a criminal matter; since fathers are more commonly the NCP, it's only natural that more fathers end up in jail for that particular type of contempt than mothers. If you think though that NCP Moms never end up in jail for non-payment though you're gravely mistaken.

On the other side of it, withholding visitation is not a criminal matter. It's a civil matter. The eventual resolution if it goes on long enough is that the CP becomes the NCP, likely with an order of support and then we're back to square one in terms of punishment for non-payment.

As for which planet...well, I'm on Earth, but I do note with interest that Uranus is still retrograde.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 11166 times